Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soft Nipples.. Help! Baby won't latch on

Unhappy Soft Nipples.. Help! Baby won't latch on

I am new mom with a week old daughter. I have soft nipples and the baby has difficulty latching on to breastfeed. Does anyone have tips or different techniques?? I am at my wits end and ready to bottle feed.

I have been pumping my milk when I can and feeding her my milk through a bottle, but it would be SO much more convenient if she would just take it from the facet.. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: Soft Nipples.. Help! Baby won't latch on

Could you clarify what you mean about soft nipples?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Do you mean flat nipples? Ones that are more or less level with the surface of your areola, instead of sticking out?

If you're having trouble getting your baby to latch, I'd strongly suggest a visit with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). There is no substitute for hands-on help!!!!

I used to have to use the pump for a few seconds to pull my nipple out so it was easier for the baby to latch on. Maybe you could try this??

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

as well as a flat nipple which could be soft, you could have inverted nipples, like me. its more hard to get them hard
    sometimes, i have to let DD latch on kinda WRONG in order for her to suck on it to get it to stick out. it doesnt hurt but it works.
    if you squeeze your nipple does it sink back in? if so its inverted.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Prior to breastfeeding, I had very soft flat nipples. In the hospital, my son had no problem latching on, but once my milk came in there was no defined "nipple" for him to latch onto. I was able to combat the problem through wearing breast shells under my bra between nursing sessions. The only problem is that you will definitely not be able to wear them outside the house. They are very conspicuous.

I have heard that breast shells may inhibit the ability of some women to breastfeed, but they really worked for me. However, it probably took about one solid week of wearing them before I was able to get a good latch without struggling and repositioning for about 15 minutes. If you are patient and stick with it, it will get better. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrowneyezz View Post
    I am new mom with a week old daughter. I have soft nipples and the baby has difficulty latching on to breastfeed. Does anyone have tips or different techniques?? I am at my wits end and ready to bottle feed.
    Could you tell us a bit more about what happens when your baby tries to latch on? Will she latch on at all?

Here is an article that might help you determine if your nipples are flat:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/flat.html

Have you had any one on one breastfeeding help, such as an IBCLC? Have you contacted your local LLL Leader for support?

Don't quit! It gets MUCH better and easier in time or everyone would quit! Keep trying and researching what will help.

Good luck!