Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping question

Default Pumping question

My daughter is 6 weeks old now and have been breastfeeding since day 1. I have only given her like 4 bottles with EBM in them. I pumped for a few days a week ago and was getting about 2-3oz per pumping session after feeding her (immediatly after). I didn't pump for a few weeks but decided that I should probably start pumping again to get my supply stocked up in the freezer, so I started and after she fed last night I only got 20cc and the next feeding I got 50cc (but she only ate off one side this feeding and both were immediatly after feedings..) I am not very concerned that I'm either losing my milk or not going to be able to produce enough... I don't think I am drinking enough water first of all but I don't see how that could impact my supply that much... I need help! What would you all do?!? When I give her bottles with EBM she takes like 4-5oz! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Pumping question

Pumping output is not a good indicator of supply because babies are so much more efficient. Pumping very little is normal, especially when you are nursing full time. Most mothers only pump 2-4 oz during a session when they are away from baby. Everything sounds normal to me. Once your body adjusts to pumping and gets into a rhythm, you will probably notice an increase in the amount you pump. Most mothers find their supply is the highest in the mornings so will pump after the first morning session. For some mothers it does take more than one pumping session to make a bottle. Others are luckier though! Here is a link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

mama!

This in no way shape or form means that you are losing your milk!
    Pumping is a not a great indicator of supply, there are a lot of variables when you pump, and so if nursing is going good (which sounds like it is?) then it's pumping not supply that is the problem.

Getting 2-3oz after a feeding is wow amazing! Getting 20-50 cc's is not bad while nursing on demand - but I understand why you are worried.

There are a couple of things that may explain why such a difference in amounts.
    Time of day - mornings produce a greater amount of milk usually because prolactin levels are higher.

Stress - this can inhibit a let down and make a full breast refuse to give milk.

Faulty pumping equipment - check the valves, tubes, membranes, just to make sure everything is in good working order.

A natural ebb or flow in pumping output - sometimes we just don't know why one day your fine, the next day your not, and then later you can pump plenty. I suspect that it's something but sometimes really hard to determine the cause.

Are you going back to work, or will you have to pump on a regular basis??
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks so much... so do you all suggest that I wait a little bit after nursing to pump now while I'm still at home with her? I will be pumping while at work only hopefully (I work 12hr nightshifts at the hospital 3 nights a week) and usually she sleep from about midnight-7a so I really will only be missing 2 feedings... I appreciate you all so much... really you all give me hope!

That's a good idea to try, you might see a little more output from that. You should see a pretty good amount while you are at work pumping!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!