Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First Time Daycare Baby and Illness

Default First Time Daycare Baby and Illness

I just have to do some research on this and thought my LL friends would be perfect to ask. I have been breastfeeing my 11 month old since she was born. I pump and she takes those bottles at daycare. She is CONSTANTLY sick. I am so frustrated...to the point where I am ready to pull her out and just figure out what to do later. I thought that breastfeeding would keep her healthy at daycare. Not that I expected her to never get sick, but it's crazy. She is sick all the time. Constantly going to the doctor for ear infections, fevers, stomach bugs, etc.
    Anyone have any words of wisdom? I just need to know if this is normal and when it should get better!

Default Re: First Time Daycare Baby and Illness

My dd has been constantly sick all winter, too. I'm hoping it will slow down as the weather gets warmer and the kids can spend more time outside. I feel your pain, mama, I think it's normal.

If it makes you feel any better, I've also heard that kids that get sick a lot in day care don't miss as many days in school later because they've already been exposed to so much. That's what I tell myself to feel better, anyway.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

my ds has been a lot sicker this winter than he was last winter. we're not in daycare, but i know who to blame-- gymboree! i think it just goes with the territory, honestly. but i would talk with the daycare about it. maybe they have too lax a policy on sick kids or maybe they're not doing enough to prevent the spread of illness?
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

That happened with us too. The ped said it was normal. If it does not happen now then it will happen when they start school (or whatever other program that has them around other kids). Although I know it does not make you feel any better, that is how they build up their immune system.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I have heard this winter was a really bad one form a lot of moms, not all of them with kids in daycare/school. Spring is coming! (though you would never know from the food of snow we got yesterday)

My DD's been constantly sick this winter too - and she's in DC... We had to put tubes in a little over a month ago and we've even had one awful cold and ear infection after that!

I agree with PPs - I'm telling myself that DD won't get as sick as often later because she was exposed now...

And, I'd agree it's normal. But, it wouldn't hurt to double check on the daycare policies and cleaning practices.

Also, you could consider finding a smaller center or individual to take care of your lo if you're really at your wits end - I would expect it to be a little better with fewer kids...
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

My first child was sOOOOOO sick his first winter in daycare, even only going 2 days/week. We used to joke when he'd be going back after recovering from an illness that he was going back....to get sick. The next winter was much better. It's all adjustment, and it's normal. Infant rooms are the hardest, as everyone puts everything in their mouths, and they do their best to keep up with it, but it's a losing battle. Once they transition to the toddler room, it gets much better! hang in there!