Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often does your newborn nurse?

Default How often does your newborn nurse?

Honestly I feel like a jersey cow. DS wants to nurse alot. I think he's using me for a pacifier. Should I just let him eat whenever he acts interested?

Default Re: How often does your newborn nurse?

I felt that way too! I nursed my daughter probably every hour the first few weeks. She'd nurse for 45 minutes to an hour, then be ready to nurse less than an hour later! I felt I was permanently bonded to my flowered arm chair

In a way, you are her pacifier because you are such a great comfort to her in theses early days/weeks. Frequent nursing is also increasing her food supply. And this time will pass. You won't always feel this way. The first weeks are the toughest; but eventually the time between feedings will stretch out.

Smile Re: How often does your newborn nurse?

He's definitely not using you as a pacifier, he's trying to establish your milk supply.

I remember those days of constant nursing, it will pass.

Take the time to enjoy your new little one, maybe catch up on some movies you've wanted to watch and let him nurse away.

Congrats on your new little boy.

Deb

I remember when ds was that age I couldn't even take a shower without dh yelling to me that he was hungry again. It will pass, the best thing you can do is keep up what you're doing, listening to your lo cues. It sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Yep, let him eat as often as he cues! It can be so time-consuming at first, but it really does get easy!

Think of your weight now, then double that number. Imagine someone told you that you had to double your weight within 6 months from today--you'd be eating all the time, right? That's exactly what your baby is doing, and his constant eating also helps to ensure that YOU have enough milk for his increasing needs.

Hang in there

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!