Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not sure whats going on

Default not sure whats going on

I'm not really sure whats going on with my milk supply. My daughter will breastfeed for about 10 minutes per side and usually fall asleep but she will wake up only after 10-30 minutes and act like she's starving again. I'm worried she's just not getting enough. I've been supplementing with formula once or twice a day and she seems content after that but I'm trying to get away from that and breastfeed/pump only. When I do get a chance to pump I usually get about 2 ounces per session, maybe a little less depending on the time of day. Should I just keep letting her nurse when she seems hungry right after feeding? She has plenty of wet and soiled diapers but I'm not sure if its because of the formula. The pediatrician says she should be sleeping more between feedings so I don't know if this is normal. Any advice?

Default Re: not sure whats going on

How old is she? Wanting to nurse soon after nursing can be a sign of a growth spurt. Putting her to breast frequently is the best way to up your supply.

Pumping is not a good indication of how much you are making. Some people respond better than others to the pump.

It sounds like her diapers are good!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

She just turned 5 weeks today. Pretty much since birth she has been wanting to feed frequently and doesn't seem to stay satisfied for long. She does pretty well at night (waking to feed every 3-4 hours) but during the day it seems like she's never satisfied after breastfeeding. It makes it more difficult to take her anywhere because I will feed her just before I leave and as soon as I get to where we're going, she's ready to eat again lol.

Two words: growth spurt. You're coming up on a major one at 6 weeks. It could be that she hit that growth spurt early.

The first month or two are a series of growth spurts close together. Sometimes it seems one ends just as the next begins! This is the key time to establishing your milk supply for the year(s) to come. So avoiding formula is very important to ensuring that you produce what she needs.

The fact that shes sleeping well at night is positive. Its not uncommon for a newborn to nurse frequently throughout the day. She could be wanting to reconnect with you aswell. Or that the place where you've gone to is busy and shes feeling the need to feel close and safe.

What type of behaviour is making you think she isn't satisfied? What is her weight gain like?
    Lyn

Her weight gain so far has been good. She was born 7lb 9oz on 02/21, was 7lb 7oz the following week, and as of 2 weeks ago she was 9lbs. I feel like she's not satisfied because shortly after she feeds, she starts rooting around again and if I don't put her back on the breast she starts crying. I'm not sure if she is still hungry or just wants to suck for comfort but either way it seems a little excessive. Pretty much from day 1 she has been rooting all the time lol. I'm definitely trying to cut the formula out though, at least when I'm with her.

It does seem excessive in the early days, but its not. It is the baby building your milk supply to where it needs to be for proper growth and development. I also think it teaches us that we need to re-prioritize our life by making less appointments, lunch dates, shopping trips, etc. Just focus on the baby for the first few months. There will be plenty of time for everything else later. I found that if I only went out for necessary trips, ie. groceries, etc. my son did better than if we were going out daily. Plus it made me for at peace with things. I would have water, snacks, the phone, and kick back and watch a movie or TV while nursing and holding my sleeping babe.

You mention that you are trying to cut out the formula "at least when I'm with her". Are you having to return to work or be apart from baby now? This could be why she is wanting to nurse more frequently aswell. Like I said before, to reconnect.

The demands of a newborn nursling can be exhausting. But it does get better. Pretty soon you will be on to the new exhausting thing "Mama? Mama? Mama?" or "NONONONO!"
    Lyn

Well I will be going back to work soon, but with my job I generally only have to go in to work a few days out of the month (I work on an on-call basis). But I do let me mom babysit her every once in a while and sometimes I don't have enough breastmilk pumped to leave with her so I bring formula. The other thing that she does that makes me think she's not getting enough is she will start fussing at the breast after a while of sucking and she will start pulling on my nipples really hard! Is that normal behavior? Also, if I let her keep sucking as long and as much as she wants she sometimes will throw up and then seem like she's hungry again.