Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often does your newborn poop?

Default How often does your newborn poop?

DS poops every time he nurses and then some. His bottom is so red. I don't remember DD pooping this much. The Dr. says its normal.

Default Re: How often does your newborn poop?

"Normal" is actually quite a ride range.
    Some babies do poop after every feeding. and most babies go through different phases, so dont be surprised if he suddenly stops pooping for a few days - this is normal too.
    If his bottom is pretty red, I would put some nice, soothing natural cream on it, and try to let him go "diaperless" as much as possible. I know this can be a bit of a challenge if he poops a lot, but I used to let my dd lie bare-bum a lot, always with a few layers of cloth diaper under her, or an old towel or something. it helped a lot with the redness.

and if the babies bottom gets realy red and smells funny it might be a yeast diapar rash.
    you can use an over the counter yeast cream on it. I got the rite-aid brand because it was cheaper then the name brand ones and the same thing.
    it only takes a little bit and then thier skin looks beter.
    YOu could also try just plain old breast milk on the rash.

My DD was like yours, so many diaper changes. I did the same thing that majikfaerie did when I could (go diaperless), one diaper cream that worked great for me was Bodreaux Butt Paste, Desitin or Balmex didn't do it for me.