Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hot chili pepper oil on nipples

Default Hot chili pepper oil on nipples

Ok, now my daughter says she wants "hot nan nies" ... I having been talking up weaning my daughter for her 2cd birthday that is coming up in a few weeks. I explained to her that she was getting to be a big girl now and that there was going to be a baby that will need to do that nan nies now, because the family I nanny for had a baby last week and she agreed several times but will not cut back the nursing on the meantime(so I know it is all talk on both of out parts)..so I put hot chili oil on my nipples to deter her, but she likes it!
    I can't imagine not nursing anymore I and am sad to see my baby grow up but I really feel like she needs a little push in this direction to get the show on the road. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't sit for a second without her trying to lift my shirt to nurse. I did suggest that we go to Build a Bear and make a "special Nan Nie bear" for our special weaning day on her birthday. But I KNOW THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE THE GRAND FINALE nor will by breasts handle the abrupt transition.

Default Re: Hot chili pepper oil on nipples

What about bleach or battery acid?

Just kidding.

I'm in shock that you put hot pepper anything on your nips.

ETA: Okay, not the most useful input in the world. I'll be serious now. You really sound like you are not ready. Are you just feeling pressure from others b/c you're nursing a toddler?

I think your BAB idea sounds nice and I have seen others do a parade, which was really sweet. But I think that child self-weaned and was a bit older.
    Last edited by NolaMomma; March 27th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Have you tried compromising with her? Ie. "We are going to only nurse before bedtime now." Or something like that so that she doesn't feel that its all or nothing, and so that you can feel the same way.

Are you willing to continue 1 or 2 special nursings during the day or are you wanting to wean completely?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I don't think that using spices is the way to go for weaning, but that certainly is creative. I would, however, be wary of getting that in her eyes or your own. Since she is upcoming on her 2nd birthday you have the upper hand with reasoning with her to wean.

I believe that weaning should be a gradual process that both child and momma feel comfortable with. Perhaps you could try dropping one nursing session at a time?

I can't remember who posted this before, but maybe you could let her 'hold' your breasts and not actually nurse when she needs the comfort. I always thought that was such a nice way to ease the transition, and my own nursling loves to do that at night already.

We're not weaning yet but that's what I could think of for now, I'm sure the more experienced mommas will be along to give some advice. Hang in there!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

If you really want to quit sooner than later, then it won't help to leave it up to her. It's not really fair for her either. She loves it and won't choose to give it up. And you set her up for failure by expecting her to have the will power. Will power is mom's job. I made that mistake around that same age and I think I delayed the weaning process. She clung harder. YOU need to start limiting her and you also need to put it all on yourself.. no "you're too big now." Trust me that doesn't work.. If growing up means giving up nursing a two year old will choose to be a baby. Instead say, "I'd rather play (or read a book or whatever)."

They give it up when they realize they don't need it anymore. You can teach her that she doesn't need it anymore by making her go longer and longer stretches without it. Limits will do two things; get you closer to weaning, and make nursing so much more pleasant that you won't feel as rushed to wean. However, setting up new limits with a two year old isn't fun when it comes to breastfeeding or ANYTHING. You could start by not allowing her to lift your shirt. Tell her she needs to ask. Then you could say only in a certain place.. and go from there. My first limit was no nursing while mom was eating. Wow that make eating out nicer! But there were tantrums during dinner time for a few days first.

It's not just the taste they love. Dd remembers nursing and she says it's the softness that was nice. She always refused expressed breastmilk in any form. It was never about the taste.

Take your time. The older my dd got the easier weaning became for us. And going gradually helped us find a happy ending.

Gentle Reminder: While every poster is welcome to share her own opinions and experiences, please keep in mind that only LLL Leaders (posters with LLL in front of their username) speak for LLL. On this forum, you may read some ideas that seem new or surprising to you. If there's something you disagree with, please do come back and continue to participate. Every mother speaks from her own perspective. We all have different ideas and opinions, and we welcome yours (with the expectation that we will all share respectfully). And, as always, please take what works for your family and leave the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by sagemom View Post
    I can't imagine not nursing anymore I and am sad to see my baby grow up but I really feel like she needs a little push in this direction to get the show on the road. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't sit for a second without her trying to lift my shirt to nurse. I did suggest that we go to Build a Bear and make a "special Nan Nie bear" for our special weaning day on her birthday. But I KNOW THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE THE GRAND FINALE nor will by breasts handle the abrupt transition.
    Don't offer, don't refuse is one method for starters. Another is putting limits on when, where, and/or for how long you will nurse. For example, some mothers will only nurse at home, in bed before bedtime and when the sun comes up, and for only as long as it takes to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle".

Distraction is the nursing mother's ally. When your toddler asks to nurse, you could offer to do something else instead (like pet the doggy, take a walk, make a snack, etc.). Changing your daily routine a bit might help, too. Oh! And try not sit down in your usual nursing spot. There's an old joke that goes, you can always tell when a mother is weaning because she never sits down!

Weaning as a Natural Process
    Weaning Techniques
    Frequently Asked Questions about Weaning

All that being said, if your daughter and yourself are not ready to wean completely, you can always look into partial weaning or slow down the weaning process. Weaning can be a very gradual process.

HTH!
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; March 27th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.

Hi mama,

It sounds as if you are really reaching for a solution here. I can't imagine the discomfort that both you and your child went through with the chili oil. My goodness! You must have felt really desperate.

Can you make a list of everything you have tried already? Maybe we can all brain storm with you. The Moderator gave some really good examples of gentle weaning that work. Do any of them sound reasonable to you? Would they work for you?

You spoke of your baby wanting to nurse constantly when you are around. Are you separated during the day? This can make a baby feel strongly about reconnecting with mama. She has trusted you to love her and hold her for a long time. Is it possible that she is feeling some stress about being away from you? I can't blame her for wanting her mama close, but I can understand that a two year old can be demanding though!

Are you also caring for a newborn? You are nursing this infant as well?

I have had friends mention to me that at around the age of two their babies had another set of large teeth come in in the back of the mouth. A mother's milk contains a hormone called Oxytocin, which helps lessen pain in a young child or infant. It could also be another reason for an increased need for breastfeeding. Maybe some sugar-free popsicles might help with teething pain?

Are there times of day where she really feels the need to be near you? Maybe you could focus on these times and talk about them to her so that she knows you understand she wants to nurse at those times. It is hard to communicate how you feel when you are a toddler. It is also hard to be a mother when someone is constantly demanding all of your energy. Do you have anyone to give you some support? Maybe getting someone to spend some time with her when you are very tired will help?

Let us know what you think!