Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sadly I think we are here

Default Sadly I think we are here

I guess it is time to face the facts that this "nursing strike" is not in fact a strike at all, but he is for real done bf. It is rather a sad admition. I am very greatful that about 2-3 weeks into the strike, I did get one "last time" when he latched for less than a minute one night. I am very greatful that I was able to cherish that last moment of our bf relationship. It has been about a month now . . . and I have tried everything to no avail, he is just done. I have been pumping and will continue for the next month, but I am finding myself with less resolve to pump as much as I should. I am down to pumping 3-4 times a day, getting 14-17 ounces. Some days that is all he will take from a cup, and some days we supplement one cup of formula. I am thinking to start cow's milk in a week or 2, we have gotten the go ahead from the pedi. any idea how much I should offer at first? also, this whole transition from bm being the primary nutrition to milk being secondary is a strange one. My lo is drinking less, eating plenty of solids (3 meals and 1 or 2 snacks) I know as far as cows milk after 1 year, the AAp says 16 ounces, but for the next few weeks as we transition, is the 15-20 ounces/day sufficient?

We really had no intention of being done this soon, so it is sad, but I am glad we made it as far as we did, and he did at least get bm for a year. I all of you who have EP'd for more than a year, I just don't have it in me I guess. thanks for all the support that got us this far!

Default Re: Sadly I think we are here

awe poor mom..
    if your son will not drink that much cows milk don't worry about
    lots of kids don't want that much milk.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    awe poor mom..
    if your son will not drink that much cows milk don't worry about
    lots of kids don't want that much milk.
    We have not inroduced cow's milk yet, he is currently only taking in around 15 or so oz's of EBM.

Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My LO is almost 2 and only has cow's milk about every 2-3 days. Other than that, all he drinks is water.

We get his calcium in other ways. He eats whole milk, organic yogurt and lots of cheese. I wouldn't worry too much.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

You tried very hard, you did everything you could! I'm so very sorry mama.
    It's a lonesome feeling to have a treasured breastfeeding relationship end before you are ready. It begins to metamorphosize into something different. Your baby is growing, he is becoming more independent, he is developing his character and personality. These strong traits in your sunny child are obviously due to his trust in his relationship with you. You have been there for him whenever he needed, he knew he could depend on you. You are a terrific mama! I hope you plan on staying here and sharing your experience breastfeeding and pumping with the rest of us, and new mothers.

So here is a big hug from California from my family, wishing you the best on this leg of the journey.

Thanks everyone! Everyone here has been great, and I really appreciate all of the support. I often feel bad about how judgmental I was to all those moms who told me their lo's weaned before a year . . . knowing what "statistics say" about such . . . but apparently it does happen. I guess we are just one of those "few"
    Funny thing, I am dreading switching to whole milk bc of the cost! imagine if we would have had to buy formula all these months! makes you VERY greatful for that wonderful perfect BM!!!

I know of two babies who self weaned at 12 months and 7 months, everything tried.

Your story made me cry. The BF'ing relationship is such a cherished one for me. You did everything you could & I commend you for that! You've done a wonderful job!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I'm sorry it ended sooner than you were ready for. You've done something wonderful for your child that will stay with your son for the rest of his life. Congratulations for that!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous