Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help...is he still hungry or is he teething?

Default Need Help...is he still hungry or is he teething?

Just a little background, my LO is 3 months today and he's been breastfed since birth; however, we've used a nipple shield since the beginning and we just recently (last Saturday) weaned him off of it which I'm thrilled about. So obviously, it's like we're starting from scratch - his latch, I'm sure, is all wrong because I'm in some serious pain here. I've called a lactation consultant and she was supposed to come today but she didn't. So all this week, after he nurses to where he comes off himself, he sticks his hand in his mouth...he's been doing this for a couple of weeks now and I don't know if it means he is still hungry or if he is teething. How can I tell the difference?
    I put him back on the breast to see if he wants more, but he'll fuss and/or take a few sips and then start squirming.

I'm so confused.
    By the way, I just realized I've met my 3 month goal of breastfeeding...onto the next one...6 months.

Default Re: Need Help...is he still hungry or is he teething?

Congratulations on meeting your goal!

As for the fist sucking, at this age it's not a reliable hunger cue. The reason is that babies usually discover their hands by now (oh--look at that! How cool! I can move it. Oh wait! I can put this in my mouth, too. Awesome! ). The truth is in the diapers. If he's having plenty of wets and some poops, milk is getting in there. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I'm sorry that you're experiencing nipple soreness. Could you call your nearest LLL Leader? She might be able to do a home visit, or perhaps even meet you at a neutral location.

Here's some latching info that might help:
    Latch on animation and video
    15 minutes of breastfeeding help
    Dr. Jack Newman's latching videos

It sounds like he may be playing. My little guy was all business about the eating for the first 2 1/2 months or so, but now he sucks his hands, smiles, pops off and back on, and generally makes a good time of it (he's almost 4 months now). I usually give him a while to see if he wants to get serious again, and if not I try to give him something else besides my breasts for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by lehall View Post
    It sounds like he may be playing. My little guy was all business about the eating for the first 2 1/2 months or so, but now he sucks his hands, smiles, pops off and back on, and generally makes a good time of it (he's almost 4 months now). I usually give him a while to see if he wants to get serious again, and if not I try to give him something else besides my breasts for entertainment.
    ditto but my LO is 4.5 months.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Thanks to everyone for the great responses.
    His wet and dirty diapers are good - at least 8 wet and 3 dirty a day...and the wet ones are usually heavy.

I actually had a lactation consultant come by this morning and we did great. His latch is much better and she said the same thing you all suggested...THANK YOU!!!! It's good to know he's getting enough to eat and playing now.