Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Goats Milk Yogurt ok for 1st solid?

Default Goats Milk Yogurt ok for 1st solid?

My 6.5 mos girl loves goat milk yogurt, but I am unsure if there is some reason I should not be feeding it to her. I know most say to wait for 9-10 mos for dairy, but is this just a soy/cow protien thing or is it for all dairy?

Default Re: Goats Milk Yogurt ok for 1st solid?

I have heard that goat's milk protein is too similar to cow's milk to feed to an infant under 12 months.

See:

Is it safe to use goat's milk as a supplement to breastfeeding?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Goat's milk protein and cow's milk proteins are very similar. I think that I would hold off...

Thanks for the advice!

Yogurt and cheese is fine to give an infant before 12 months. I started giving my daughter yogurt around 8 months (whole milk/plain) and it is still her favorite thing to eat!

The reason doctors say not to give dairy before 12 months is so that people won't give them cow's milk instead of breast milk or formula.

The cultures in yogurt are good for your baby's tummy too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilianesmom
    Yogurt and cheese is fine to give an infant before 12 months. I started giving my daughter yogurt around 8 months (whole milk/plain) and it is still her favorite thing to eat!

The reason doctors say not to give dairy before 12 months is so that people won't give them cow's milk instead of breast milk or formula.

The cultures in yogurt are good for your baby's tummy too!
    Sorry to disagree ... ... but it is due to allergies that dairy products are discouraged in the first year (including giving them as a supplement in addition to breast milk or formula). It is the milk protein that is the concern, and goat's milk protein is very similar to cow's.

The prevalence of milk allergy is highest in infancy. A predominate factor leading to food allergy is the early introduction of food allergens (such as milk proteins), therefore, feeding an infant cow's milk (or soy and goat milk) before 12 months places the child at greater risk for intolerance.

LLL's link:

First Foods

states:
    To minimize the risk of allergies, it's a good idea to wait until your baby is at least a year old before introducing citrus fruits (including oranges, lemons, and grapefruit) kiwi, strawberries, peanuts and peanut butter, eggs, soy products (including soy milk and tofu), and cow's milk (including cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream). If there is a family history of food allergy, consult your doctor or allergist for advice on when to start your baby on these more-allergenic foods; it may differ from recommendations for babies without allergic history.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

This is what I read on Wholesome Baby Food:
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipYogurt.htm

This is one of the most commonly asked questions of them all. What is the magic of Yogurt and Cheese that makes it OK to give to my baby before 1 year old?

The truth is, there is NO great magic in Yogurt or Cheese! The two most common reasons for it being allowed prior to age 1 year old are:

1. Unlike Whole Cow Milk beverage, your baby is not at risk of formula/breast milk being replaced by Yogurt or Cheese. The medical community worries that if Whole Cow milk is introduced to an infant prior to 1 year old, that parents would stop formula and/or breastfeeding and use Milk as the replacement. This would possibly be dangerous to your baby's health!

2. Lactose is already broken down with the culturing of the yogurt or cheese and milk proteins are either removed or limited thus it is typically easier to digest; people with lactose intolerance often are be able to handle cheese and/or yogurt without trouble. The same is true for some people with a milk protein (either to the casein or the whey) allergy.