Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping for the first time-- only 2oz first week

Default pumping for the first time-- only 2oz first week

Hello Everyone! What a great site! I started pumping for the first time this week. I started with the Avent Isis and then switched to a Medela electric. I pump in the am when slightly engorged with baby on one and the pump on the other. I only seem to be able to get around 2oz every time. I have tried a warm heating pad, massaging, relaxing, drinking water. I switch and pump both breasts each time. I read on a Medela brochure that 2oz in the beginning is normal. How was it with some of you? any hints to get more? My baby is six weeks old, he breastfeeds like crazy all day lately. At night we slow down a little, the morning is the only time I feel full. Any advice appreciated!!!!

Default Re: pumping for the first time-- only 2oz first week

Are you pumping to have a reserve, go back to work, or to increase your supply? I knew from the start that I would be back at work quickly so I started pumping immediately (ds is 6 weeks old, too). I get 7-8 oz when I pump, but these sessions are in place of a feeding. Keep pumping if you are trying to increase supply; you don't have to "feel full" to pump. Good Luck!

Some mothers just don't pump a lot even though their supply is perfect for her baby. Pumps don't stimulate as well as the baby. I am a horrible pumper with the Isis even though i love that pump, so i got a pump in style from freecycle (woohoo!) and i can pump out between 4-6oz per session. But then again my baby is a bit older than yours. I'd say keep what you're doing. I don't know what your goal is (build a stash, go out, etc) but whatever you can pump save it..soon you'll have a good stash going..always continue to nurse your baby as you are doing..great job

You are smart to nurse while pumping...that really helps! Eating oatmeal helped my supply and massaging the breast that was being pumped worked to get more out. Also, sometimes I found that if I left the pump on longer than normal (even after the milk seemed to stop coming out), I would eventually get another let down that would provide an extra ounce or two. I also saw a lot more hind milk in those bottles as well.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

You didn't state the reason why you are pumping. Is it for storing or increasing your supply? I know as people say every little bit of milk saved is good. However if your just trying to increase your supply right now the thing that I found that works wonders is, that when you have a shower hand express milk while the warm water from the shower gives a great let down feeling. I've been trying to increase supply really to just increase it at this point. But when it's increased enough that's when I express milk to store for when my son gets older. I hope this helps. Let us know how things go for you and good luck.

Mother of Three
    Blake 05/30/02
    Hailey 10/02/03
    Cole 12/08/05

I use the Ameda dual electric pump. I only got about 1.5 oz. when I started pumping at 3 weeks pp. Then it gradually increased. At six weeks I think I was pumping about 3 oz. (both sides). And now at 12 weeks I'm pumping at least 4 oz. It probably depends on how often you are pumping too. I have to wait about 2.5 - 3 hours in between each session to get 4 or more oz. And I always get 1.5 oz. from my left side and 2.5 from my right.