Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painfull Let Down

Default Painfull Let Down

Hello...Im new here!

I guess...let me introduce myself and give you a quick background. My name is Jessica and I have a 3.5 year old (he was FF) and my new baby Jack (8 weeks) I have been married for 5 years

Bfing with Jack has been an up and down struggle, but now at 8 weeks, I feel like we have the hang of it and am starting to enjoy it.

But recently (probably last 2 weeks) I have noticed my let down on my left side is very painfull. Like I curl my toes up and breath deep to get through it. It is even painfull when I nurse on the right side and I let down it hurts. Once I get through the initial latch on and let down the pain is pretty much gone. I also have a strong let down on the left side. Once I let down, I have a continous spray from that side. My LO doesnt seemed to be bothered by it.

I can not figure out what is causing this pain. I thought that maybe I had a clogged duct, but I dont feel anything.

I was thinking that maybe it is because I have a strong/forcefull let down on that side it hurts that much more?

I feels like it starts at the top of my breast and moves towards my nipple and then its gone. Maybe hurts bad for about a minute and then its gone.

Any ideas? Anything I can do to make the pain stop or will I just grow used to it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Painfull Let Down

We're glad to "meet" you.

Forceful let-down can be painful. Do you *only* feel the pain during let-down?

I too have a painful letdown. My LO is 12 weeks now and it has gotten much better. I hope it gets better for you too.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Yes pretty much only feel the pain when I let down. And its only when I nurse. When I pump it feels more like a "tingle" than a burn. Thanks for the responses!