Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help and Support I have vasospasm

Unhappy Need Help and Support I have vasospasm

I dreamed of nursing my baby since my pregnancy started and it has bee difficult to overcome the difficulties I have been experiencing but don't want to give up on nursing.

First I had mastitis on my right breast after I finished my 10 day treatment, I developed mastitis on my left breast and wile in treatment I started feeling a pain that didn’t go away, I called my OB and the nurse told my to call the LC, when I called her she told me to come and visit her so she could see what was happening, so I did.

When I got there she showed me a book with pictures of different illnesses on the breast and the one picture I picked up was the one that fit with vasospasm. I am on treatment with Nifedipine for two weeks but sometimes it is so hard for me to nurse my baby boy that at night when I am tired of the whole day I feel like giving up.

I was told by a friend from church that here I could find support and help and I need both.

Thanks for anything and everything you can tell me.

Pamela

Default Re: Need Help and Support I have vasospasm

Have you read this article? It has some good info in it that might help in your situation. http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug99p120.html

Many mothers with vasosparms like to put a warm wet cloth on their breasts immediately before/after a feeding, they say it helps with the intense feelings.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon View Post
    Many mothers with vasosparms like to put a warm wet cloth on their breasts immediately before/after a feeding, they say it helps with the intense feelings.
    I had nipple compression/blanching due to a poor latch and using the very warm, wet compresses right before a feeding helped me power through a bit better. It was still painful but not as bad. I also read that you can run a hot shower and nurse in the bathroom (keeping the baby away from the water, of course). I mainly tried to keep warm, wore layers, ran the heat, etc. as having my nipples harden in the cold made them very painful.

There is also this site: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_Mama View Post
    I dreamed of nursing my baby since my pregnancy started and it has bee difficult to overcome the difficulties I have been experiencing but don't want to give up on nursing.

First I had mastitis on my right breast after I finished my 10 day treatment, I developed mastitis on my left breast and wile in treatment I started feeling a pain that didn’t go away, I called my OB and the nurse told my to call the LC, when I called her she told me to come and visit her so she could see what was happening, so I did.
    How old is your baby, Bee_Mama?

Are there (or have there been) any problems with latching that you recall? Were your nipples cultured after the recurrent mastitis?

When I got there she showed me a book with pictures of different illnesses on the breast and the one picture I picked up was the one that fit with vasospasm. I am on treatment with Nifedipine for two weeks but sometimes it is so hard for me to nurse my baby boy that at night when I am tired of the whole day I feel like giving up.
    Could you tell us a bit more about your symptoms?

What makes you feel like giving up?

I was told by a friend from church that here I could find support and help and I need both.
    We're glad you're here. And we're happy to help you in any way that we can.

I had nipple compression/blanching also with DS (8 weeks old)
    First off...it got better for me. He was latching on properly per 3 LCs and one LLL leader I saw. I was in TERRIBLE pain from this. I had him at an ENT to check and see if he was tounge tied. He was not. I finally saw my final LC at my hospital and she DX with him having a short tounge. His tounge was not able to touch his gum line. So he was chewing to suck because he was not strong enough yet to keep his tounge all the way forward for the full amount of nursing he needed. He had a strange way of sucking too. You could see it when he had a Soothie Paci in his mouth. He would bite down quickly instead of sucking with his tounge
    This is what worked for me, but it is kind of a process...
    I would nurse one feeding (gritting my teeth the whole way through) and then the next feeding I would pump on the side I was suppose to feed him from. This gave my nipples a chance for a break in between nursing feedings.
    Finally about 3 weeks ago he started to bring his tounge out of his mouth and I started to nurse alittle bit more and wean out the pumpings. About 2 weeks ago I started to EBF and its worked!!!!!! I have little pain now. Once in awhile I will get some pain, and I pull him off and start over. And it has been working good.
    So it got better for me with giving my nipples a break. Pumping did not hurt for me. And slowly I would take out one pumping session at a time and nurse then. And we have got it down.
    Good luck...and hang in there. I know I would get irritated when people said "It does get better" I didnt believe them. But it did get better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post

How old is your baby, Bee_Mama?

My Baby Eliken was born in January 21, 2008.

Are there (or have there been) any problems with latching that you recall? Were your nipples cultured after the recurrent mastitis?

In the beginning my baby boy had problems latching to my left breast because the nipple was very small due to the amount of milk, so I did have problems latching on that side it got to the point of having a small blister on one side of the nipple.

I did not have anybody examine my breasts since de mastitis, should I do that? Who do I go to?

Could you tell us a bit more about your symptoms?

In regards to the symptoms I have I can describe a normal day in the morning (5:00 am) when the baby wakes up to nurse I have a slight pain that goes from the nipple to my under arm, feels like electricity kind of or like tense tendons, something like that. While he is nursing feels like he is pilling out the tense tendons, when he is finished the nipple is very tender and when I finish changing his diaper I feel very sore on my left side, sometimes it is very hard to pick him up to put him on his crib and if I lay down to rest sometimes I can feel the pain irradiate all the way to my spine in a straight line when I look at my nipple at this point it has two white spots on the tip of it. If you divide the nipple in four equal parts like if it was a circle the top two parts are the ones that are white.

What makes you feel like giving up?

The feelings of giving up come to me when late at night I am tired and sore and I am alone with my thoughts, sometimes I feel like nursing my baby is what is making me feel trapped in my house because I don’t get to go out a lot. I live in Montana and the weather is still pretty cold and the closest big town I have is an hour away, the town where I live because of the cold there is nothing to do. Punping takes so long and hurts as much so formula sounds good for freedom.

We're glad you're here. And we're happy to help you in any way that we can.
    Talking to other nursing mothers and people with experience in nursing makes me feel that I am not alone