Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One side at a time...

Default One side at a time...

Hello all I have been nursing my DD3 for 6 months now and have been nursing one side per feeding. I was having major pain when my milk was letting down so another momma said to try doing it one side at a time. It worked! No more pain! My question is this. If I do this from now on, will it affect my milk production? Or should I go back to doing both breast at a feeding? LO seems to be getting enough, but I cant pump very much anymore. Also when I tried to do both sides a few nights ago she didnt sleep as well(she normally sleeps through the night).

Default Re: One side at a time...

Hi mama,
    So are you saying you are worried that nursing once side at a time will decrease your milk supply?
    When you say your let down is painful, do you mean the tingling part of it, or do you feel some sort of sharp shooting pain? When you have a letdown you have it on both sides whether or not you are feeling it. By reducing to one side per feeding, are you saying that you don't offer the second side after baby is done? How do you feel like your babies wet diapers are? Seeing between 5-6 minimum per 24 hours 2-3 poops?

She is having plenty of wet diapers. When I sya pain I mean when they were lettingdown that it would be a very painful sensation. Gosh I almost cried most times. I didnt have a clog or mastitis. I know what those feel like. The other momma said I might just have alot of milk coming at once. Yes I am worried that only nursing one side will maybe make me have lower supply? I dunno. I really want to nurse to atleasy 12 months and dont want to dry up before then. Oh and she only has one poop a day.

We nurse only one side at a time and have been since about 2 months until now. I'm not sure exactly how it happened but that's just the way we nurse. 1 poopy a day is fine at 6 MO. Sounds like you're doing okay to me!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I nursed DS1 on one side alternating feedings, like pp not really sure why, it is just what happened and everyone was happy with. The only time it became a "problem" was when we really started weaning and he was skipping nursings. I had to relearn how to switch sides so I didn't get too uncomfortable.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

i have always only nursed from one side..and ds only ever fed for 10 mins right from start..i think i only ever nursed 1 side as i wasnt aware i was "supposed" to feed from 2 sides, and he always seemes done after 1 side anyway, i didt go thro a phase of offering second breast but he always refused and would get annoyed if i tried to get him to latch..so now he feeds like 5-8 minutes 1 side only and has put over 5lbs on in 9 weeks...he is now 13lbs 3 at 9 weeks old, from 8lbs 1 at birth..so i clearly have enough milk and it is working..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Similar to others comments, we started nursing on one side at a time around 1 or 2 months. My daughter just would not take the second side. She was clearly full from one side. I also think I had OALD and OS, and I think nursing like this may have helped those situations (I have had no more plugged ducts since just nursing on one side). Now she is 6 months and 75th percentile for weight, so apparently she is getting enough. I'd think if you're LO is having adequate wet and dirty diapers and every thing else seems good, you should be fine.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !