Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We are weaning now

Default We are weaning now

My baby is 20months old. And we are weaning. I would label her as a pretty persistant nurser. I think before, I was unsure of wanting to wean or how to wean. But now I know it's time. My baby confirmed my feelings when one evening, we were sitting on the couch and I said okay you can nurse or watch your favorite program. Everytime she turned to nurse I would turn off the T.V. and then she would want it on again. I told her 'you can't do both' decide. She OPTED for her puppy program with Mom sitting and holding her the whole time. That's what convinced me it was time.

So what have we done? In the last two weeks I've stopped all daytime nursings. We only nurse on waking up in the morning and after naps. And to sleep for naps and bedtime. And even the going to sleeps are starting to be shorter. She nurses for a while and then tells me she wants to be put into bed and she goes to sleep - no crying, no complaining. IT's great!

The Plan. I will keep on this for a few more weeks, and then I plan to cut out either the morning or After Naps nursing. Let her adjust, then cut another nursing.

The first week when I would not let her nurse---yes and there were some tears--- but man they were short--- I'd sit on the floor and say, Momma will hold you and sit with you. She'd shake her head NO! and walk away with blanket in tow. But those tears were very short lived.

How do I know it's time to go to the next stage? Before we started weaning she was waking up only once or twice a night. When we started weaning she went back up to waking 3 times. But now the times are going down again! When she gets back to once a night I'm moving on to the next cut off.

So many of the posts I see when I come to this site are people seeking advice on how to wean, or if it was time to wean. So I am going to try to keep you guys posted.

I really think I was wishy washy about it before. But now that I feel more confident in my decision. Things are going much better.

Default Re: We are weaning now

is she eating solids well?
    Thats what kept me nursing my toddler
    if they are nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours then they don't need any extra cows milk....
    It sounds like weaning is going well for you..
    My dd got to the point that she was only nursing to sleep for bed and that lasted over a year.
    Twards the end she wasn't getting much milk at all and one time she even asked how do you get milk out of there anyways.
    At 4 I just told her it was all gone and she understood and moved on with out much fuss.

She has practically all her teeth and eats farely well. She's a bit of a picky eater. But I keep trying new things and am keeping a list of her favorites. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth either. Though from reading about weaning, I worry that watching T.V. has been kind of a substitute for weaning. My Husband swears that she was watching just as much before I started cutting her off. But I think she watches a bit too much from my perspective. Once we have more spring like weather, I will be pushing the next drop off. Which looks to be the after naps nursing. If I bring her a sippy cup in when I go to get her, she usually okay with that---Oh and more importantly, that I get on the floor and play with her as a substitute.

I forgot to mention. That during the first week of commited weaning, she hit her head, pretty hard, on a table at the bookstore. I felt absolutely horrible about it. So I found a quite corner and I nursed her a bit. I know they say never go back once you start, but I knew she was really hurting and I felt I needed to comfort her. That one set back didn't hinder our progress though. I think in our case it was about staying commited to the goal of weaning.

We are ready for the next phase. She now nurses only to go down for nap and nighttime and upon waking up from nap and first thing in the morning. I think the next nursing I need to drop is either the one first thing in the morning or the one when she wakes up from her nap.

I"m having a hard time deciding, mostly because I know she won't like me cutting out another nursing session. She's very much in the mode of needing to get her own way right now. My husband put it best when he said, it's more about her getting her way than it is about getting whatever it is she's asking for. She's having days where she asks for things and even when I make an effort to give her as much as she asks for she's still not happy. Anyways, I'd like to make this next phase easy, and I'm worried it will be bumpy.

The weather is getting a bit better, so I"m hoping the 'lets go out and play' phrase will help.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Dd and I were down to that for quite a while. I tried cutting out the waking sessions first but she was such a crabby waker. What worked better for us was for me to tell her she could nurse when she woke up. This was incentive to go to sleep faster, which was great all around. It helped ease us out of the sleep-nurse association. Once she was only nursing upon waking, I found a way to phase out the after nap session.. If I remember right, she picked that one when I gave her the choice of which one to drop. Once we were down to just mornings, I started giving her a choice between something she really liked first thing in the morning, or a nursing session. Just stopping to listen to the choice was sometimes enough to bring her out of that crabby groggy state, so even if she chose to nurse, she was still getting used to waking without it. And then I told her she could only nurse on Sundays.. and well, at that point weaning was right around the corner and within a month, SHE decided she was done. I did everything very slowly.. and had setbacks with illnesses and changes in routine, but it was typically positive gradual progress.

As far as the getting her own way thing.. that's another reason why dropping the before sleep sessions worked better too.. I didn't tell her "no" I told her "You may nurse after you sleep." See, that's a YES. That's the reason I cut back to Sundays before all out weaning too.. because it was always easier to tell her "later" than "no." Plus then she didn't ever really have to say goodbye until she was totally over it. She always had the next session to look forward to, even when the need was gone. Even yesterday she wanted reassurance that she could nurse if she really needed it (somehow we got on the subject of breastfeeding). I said "Of course.. do you remember nursing?" She started giggling and then cracking up and said "no!" It seemed she was laughing at herself for feeling such an attachment to something she couldn't even remember.