Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help...Really Struggling

Default Please Help...Really Struggling

DS is 12 months. I am quite unsure how to begin the weaning process, mainly because he never took a bottle and still refuses it. He is also allergic to regular milk, so I substitute with rice milk from a cup during the day. He doesn't take a whole lot of the rice milk, but he likes it. I have decided to wean for a number of personal reasons, I feel it is time, but I don't know where to begin. He eats well throughout the day, but still wants to nurse...generally 4 times a day. How do I begin? Do I simply not offer for say...one of his naps and put him in the crib? I am so lost...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Please Help...Really Struggling

i am so sorry you are struggling and feeling so lost.

i hope others will chime in with some helpful words,

all i got is hugs

at 12 months, you could introduce a cup or sippy cup. You are wanting to wean, but are you interested in pumping at all and giving him bm that way? or do you just want the milk to dry up? Good luck.

This resource, as well as this one may help you.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I can't help with the special diet/milk part, but for us, I weaned dd over a month and she did great. I started by substituting one bf session with a snack, or if it wasn't time to eat then just distracting her- but usually the snack/milk time worked the best. She was using a bottle at that point, and also a sippy cup. I dropped one feeding session per week to let my body adjust and also get her used to it. I just did this and saved the morning feeding (her best time) for the last one to drop. I chose a first session to drop by looking at how much did she eat (like if it wasn't her best feeding time), and what time of day it was for me and if it would be more convenient to not nurse at that time. Good luck- be flexible. I got lots of good advice from other bf moms, and especially LLL leader (called her).

Offering the cup immediately after and between each feed worked really well for us and we were down to about 4 times a day too when I knew it was time.

Good luck !!