Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Mother needs help....

Question Working Mother needs help....

I recently went back to work after having my baby girl. She is 10 weeks old. I plan on breast feeding until she is a year old. I bought a great double pump so I can pump while I am at work. I get to work usually about 7am and set reminders to pump through out the day because I do get busy. I pump every 3 hours while I am at work. Usually the first time in the morning I can get about 12 oz total. The second time I might get 6oz total. And alot of the times I am only getting about 3-6oz on the third time I pump. Lately I notice that I am done pumping after only about 5mins. I know that is not right. I am afriad that I am losing my supply. Can someone please advise me on how to get my supply up to where I am pumping at least 12oz each time? I am so worried that I am not going to have enough milk for the next day for my baby.

Thank you
    Dallas

Default Re: Working Mother needs help....

12 oz!! That is amazing!! Honestly, that sounds like you are doing a really fantastic job to me. Are you pumping enough to feed your daughter the next day? If not, you may look into whether they day care providers are over-feeding her because it sounds like you should have more than enough milk to feed her.

If you are just concerned because it is starting to drop, it may be because your supply is regulating and evening out. If you want to try to get more out during those sessions that are very brief, something that worked for me was to encourage a second let down by pumping really quickly after the first flow stops. I would just keep pumping really fast for a minute or two and a second let down would happen almost every time. Once it started flowing again I'd slow the pumping down. hth

I think you are doing a great job, though and I would have been extremely excited to have ever gotten 12 oz at one go, let alone on a regular basis.

Way to go mommy!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

12oz wow im lucky to get 6 my first pump session. I agree with above how long are you away from baby? ive been told lo should drink 1 to 1.5 oz every hour im away i used to pump a bit more than that but now only meet it, so if you are pumping at least the minimum amount (sound like you are pumping way more tho) i wouldnt worry to much Great job!

Just a quick note on the 5 min and you're done.....sometimes if I continued to pump (up to another 10 min) i would let down a second time and get more. You sound like you are doing well though, I NEVER got more than 5 oz at one time and that was when i forgot my pump at home and didnt pump all day at work!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Smile Re: Working Mother needs help....

Thank you for all your replys. I have never had a second let down. I didnt know you could get one after already having one. I am away from my daughter for about 10 to 11 hours during the day. :-( I wish I was not. I have been pumping enough for the next day feeding at day care. My daughter also eats about 3 oz every feeding and she is beeing feed 3 times while she is at daycare. Yesterday I actually only was able to pump about 5oz for the day when I was at work. Can stress and sleep deprived maybe cause me not to produce milk? I know that sounds silly but I still am curious. I am also watching how much water I am drinking during the day as well.

Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by bryans_girl View Post
    Thank you for all your replys. I have never had a second let down. I didnt know you could get one after already having one. I am away from my daughter for about 10 to 11 hours during the day. :-( I wish I was not. I have been pumping enough for the next day feeding at day care. My daughter also eats about 3 oz every feeding and she is beeing feed 3 times while she is at daycare. Yesterday I actually only was able to pump about 5oz for the day when I was at work. Can stress and sleep deprived maybe cause me not to produce milk? I know that sounds silly but I still am curious. I am also watching how much water I am drinking during the day as well.

Thanks Again
    with Paige!

To answer your questions- YES being tired and stress can have a huge impact on output.

You should drink enough water so your urine is pale yellow.

Also, you may not feel a 2nd/3rd letdown. I never do, but I know it happens from the sprays of milk.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by bryans_girl View Post
    Can stress and sleep deprived maybe cause me not to produce milk? I know that sounds silly but I still am curious.
    I think that does make a difference, and I have heard that many times (on this forum and other places) so you are not being silly.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Just wanted to second the 2nd letdown thing - I sometimes have up to 5 minutes of nothing coming out in between my first and second letdown. I used to just stop pumping when nothing came out, but now I wait and often times I get another one. Most times I don't notice and there isn't a delay, but I have a band that holds up the pumping supplies so I can work while pumping and don't always look. Also, I used to think that the relationship between stress & not letting down wasn't significant, but after a data fiasco at work last week left me with not a single drop after 15 minutes of pumping, I've learned it really is true! Its not in your head! Now I always get on this website, relax, and drink water when pumping. Keep up the good work!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Stress can definitely affect output. You might try looking at pictures of your baby or if you have videos online or on your phone that might help too. In my early days of pumping I'd listen to a video where Nora was crying and that worked really well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous