Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning Through The Night

Angry Weaning Through The Night

I'm Doing Things A Lil Different With My Second Daughter. I Want To Start Weaning My 6mth Old,only Through The Night.does Anyone Have Any Tips For Me?

Default Re: Weaning Through The Night

I tried night weaning my daughter at 6 months and it didn't work. She really needed the night time feeds and I just ended up feeling guilty for depriving her for a week. If she's not sleeping through on her own, she probably isn't ready.

Are there any specific reasons you'd like to do that at this point? Maybe we can hlep you through some of those challenges and still allow for those night nursings for a while.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I think sometimes babies wake up and don't always need to be fed. Your LO might just need a cuddle from you or dad at some of those night wakes. What we did, was DH would go in and if that didn't satisfy her, then we knew she really needed some milk from me. But sometimes she just fell back to sleep if he held her and sang to her.

Dr. Jay Gordon says that you shouldn't night wean until 1 year.

I don't recommend any forced sleep changes during the first year of life. Probably the only exception to this would be an emergency involving a nursing mom's health. There are many suggestions in books and magazines for pushing "sleeping through the night" during a baby's early months or during the first year. I don't think this is the best thing to do and I am quite sure that the earlier a baby gets "non-response" from parents, the more likely he is to close down at least a little.

Link to article: http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

I am SURE you are tired, but 6 months is prime time for a growth spurt and the baby will slow down again at night soon. Hang in there!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user