Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning through the night

Angry weaning through the night

I'm Doing Things A Lil Different With My Second Daughter. I Want To Start Weaning My 6mth Old,only Through The Night.does Anyone Have Any Tips For Me?

Default Re: weaning through the night

As far as I've read most babies cannot sleep without a feeding for more than 6 hours before they are 1. Dr. Brazelton suggests that just before the mother goes to bed herself, she should BF the baby between his/her sleep so that s/he can sleep a long stretch with a full tummy while the mother is sleeping too.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    As far as I've read most babies cannot sleep without a feeding for more than 6 hours before they are 1. Dr. Brazelton suggests that just before the mother goes to bed herself, she should BF the baby between his/her sleep so that s/he can sleep a long stretch with a full tummy while the mother is sleeping too.

My baby slep throu the night at around 4-5 months old herself withou me doing anything... then at six months she started waking up again around 2-3 for another feeding until now 9 1/2 mo.... I have tried many things but nothings works ... cereal etc... I totally agreed with pp... most bf babies cant sleep throught the night with out a feeding

My baby sleeps from 7pm to 6-7am without nursing. He is 7.5 months. Seems like whenever he would cry I'd pick him up thinking he needed nursing. I realized at about 6 months that he wasn't really needing to nurse. I started putting his paci in his mouth and he would pass right back out. If he woke up again shortly thereafter then I would nurse. Slowly but surely he started not waking up again and eventually he stopped needing me to put the paci back in as well. I've never let him CIO, I personally don't believe in that but that does work for some. You might try comforting next time, patting the butt, putting the paci back in, rubbing the back - but not picking up. If that works then baby is probably not hungry. Also, you might try making sure baby gets in more nursings during the day. I also realized when he was waking up at night that his last nurse wasn't very productive. I bought a scale and weighed before and after and he was only getting 2-3 ounces. So I supplemented with some pumped breast milk. That way I felt comfortable that he shouldn't be hungry for at least several hours. Bottom line, if my baby was hungry, I'd nurse but he didn't seem to need to anymore. Sorry for being so long winded. . . hth!

Quote Originally Posted by cevangel View Post
    My baby sleeps from 7pm to 6-7am without nursing. He is 7.5 months. Seems like whenever he would cry I'd pick him up thinking he needed nursing. I realized at about 6 months that he wasn't really needing to nurse. I started putting his paci in his mouth and he would pass right back out.
    same here my lo sleeps from 830 to 730 and I owe it all to the binkie, it was like a snooze alarm in the beginning but it was that she needed to comfort suck to get her back to sleep, now when it falls out she remains asleep still through the night!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

While some mothers are fortunate to have a baby that sleeps long periods naturally, implementing a sleep schedule at the age of 6 months is not suggested. What comes to mind first is that in some babies, restricting their calorie intake can create problems with weight gain and growth. I understand how frustrating it can be to hear that other parents are getting lots of sleep. Is this part of the problem you are facing? There is a good balance of women on this board that are still nursing through night waking. I am one of them.

An LLL article called "when will my baby sleep through the night?" http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sleep.html

A plethora of other articles on nighttime parenting: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsleep.html

Explains why some babies need to nurse more frequently than others: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/schedule.html

my lo someitmes wakes up every 1 1/2 tp 2 hours, but we do what we do out of love, BC we know it is best!!!!! i also work a full time job, so i can tell you all about needing sleep, but i go to bed with her someimes at 7 or 8 pm so if she does sleep 3 hours i get the rest also. it is a pain some days, but like i said....LOVE
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

I am becasue you are and you are because i am!

all day and Love all night!
    with DH Corey for 1 1/2 years!

I wish I did have some tips, but I can only give you a little support. My son is 8 months old and still gets up twice a night to nurse. I've tried letting him talk himself back to sleep, but he wakes up again 20 minutes later. And it's a full nurse, not just sips and back to sleep, so I'm assuming he is truly hungry. It's usually every four hours.

I noticed that the other lady who had a baby that slept through the night pumps during the day. I do as well, because I work full time. This is just a hypothesis, but there is no question that my baby drinks more milk during the day when he is at daycare and drinking bottles of pumped milk than during the weekend when we nurse. I know for a fact because I have a scale and weigh every feeding. While he eats 6 ounce bottles every 3 hours during the week, on the weekends he only takes in about 3 ounces a nurse. I'm betting that he is able to sleep through the night because he gets enough calories during the day whereas if he didn't take a bottle he'd need those nighttime nursings to get the same amount of calories. Obviously, I like the fact that he sleeps through the night, but that doesn't mean that I do. I have to pump in the middle of the night to make enough milk to give him those bottles during the day. Just throwing that out there as a possible explanation and to make it clear that he is getting the same amount of milk as if he were waking up and nursing.