Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get some fats in?

Default How do you get some fats in?

Other than a couple of avocados a week, I'm not sure that my lo is getting fat in his diet (other than bm of course). I make salmon for him every couple of weeks and leave the skin on, I hope that's the right thing to do . How else can I make sure he's getting some good fats? Thanks.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: How do you get some fats in?

If you don't hear from her on this thread, you could pm healthymama. She is a wealth of wonderful info on this very topic.

This website www.wholesomebabyfood.com is great too. It'll tell you the fat/nutrient content of all the foods baby can eat and so much other helpful information. HTH!

I cook ds's chicken breasts in olive oil. I think coconut milk is also good, although we have yet to try it. Baby is old enough, I think, to eat butter, various cheeses, and beef.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

When DS has dairy, I make sure its full-fat. But he doesn't have dairy that often except in his daily smoothie. I get whole milk yogurt. I also add about 1 tsp of Udo's Oil. I've ground up flax seed to add to his daily oatmeal aswell. And we put about 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in his oatmeal. Roasting veggies drizzled in olive oil is yummy too (asparagus, green beans, sweet potatoes).

When offering chicken, I offer the thigh not the breast. It contains more fats.

HTH
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

we do avocado, ground flax seed on his oatmeal and in smoothies, hummus, peanut and almond butter, and cooking with oils. and then of course everything he gets from me.

I used to put extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil into everything that my son eats including the pureed vegetables and fruits. I have never given him any nuts or nut butters due to allergy concerns and I don't give the skin of fish because the mercury is usually in the fatty parts of the fish including the skin.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Should I not be leaving the salmon skin on?
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Here is a pamphlet about mercury, fish and skin:
    www.des.state.nh.us/pdf/Mercury_Fish.pdf

If you're trying to avoid the skin and fat in order to avoid the mercury, then you're also not going to get the fat that you're trying to get. Are you supplementing with cod liver oil?

You can also do canned Alaskan salmon and canned sardines for the same effect as fresh salmon at a lower price (you don't want farmed under any circumstances). I mix the sardines in with tuna salad and I've been meaning to make salmon cakes, but haven't yet.

We try to put good quality grass-fed butter on everything, if not coconut oil, or both. Sweet potatoes are especially yummy for this. I like to brown organic grass fed ground beef in butter and olive oil and keep it in the refrigerator for a snack.

When I make soup, I always sautee the veggies in butter and olive oil before I add the stock. This makes it taste good as well as adding to the fat content.

Have you fed him eggs yet? Soft boiled egg yolks (high quality, of course) are so completely chock full of good stuff it's not even funny. It has been a traditional first food that I believe has some wisdom behind it.

Also, I know you're LO isn't old enough yet, but when DD started doing really well with finger foods (raisins, etc), I started soaking and toasting pine nuts. She loves them and I feel better about the fat and protein in lieu of high carb snacks.

Lastly, make sure you yourself are getting good quality fats in your diet. You know the composition of the fats in your milk depends on the food in your diet. Babies need saturated fats, so you want to eat enough of them. And no amount of trans fats is healthy. Avoid them like the plague. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We use Ghee (salt free, lactose and casein free also).

Ghee has 14 g of saturated fat in 1 TBS but no artificial additives, preservatives, or trans fats which makes a popular choice for health-conscious cooks as well. Additionally, since all the milk proteins have been removed during the clarifying process, ghee gains further nutritional value because it's lactose free, making it a safer alternative for those who are lactose intolerant.

We buy it at Whole Foods.

We also use Organic Flaxseed Oil (1 tsp/day) and organit virgin coconut oil.

HTH

Just an FYI. Farm raised atlantic salmon has just been put on the list of fish with high levels of mercury. Not sutible for small children, pregnant or BF mothers.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!