Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight loss help please

Default weight loss help please

hi all

I am new here. Had my little girl on the 5 July weighing 7.8. Health visitor been today and she now weighs 6.14 at 12 days. I feel very down about it. I thought breast feeding was going well.

I did bf before but due to lack of weight gain I switched to bottle feeding which was wrong because baby was and still is intolerant to milk.

help please, really want to continue bf but I am worried about loss of weight.

Debbie

Default Re: weight loss help please

hi debbie Welcome to you and your baby.
    Do you have a local lll leader that you can call?
    She can help beter than we can help on-line.
    How are the babies wet diapars? And poops..
    A baby that young should have 5-6 realy wet and more than 3 poops the size of a quarter. How often is the baby nursing? Its common for some babies to be slow gainers. some scales can be off so unless the baby was weighed on the same scale it might not have been a good weight.
    Keep trying! maybe just letting the baby nurse more would solve the babies weight gain problem!

My baby was the same way...a doctor even told me to formula feed instead of breastfeed! Honestly, I was worried so I breastfed her around the clock and my milk supply increased and so did her weight. Are you trying to breastfeed again?

Actually what anfrea_ohio said about scales being off is a pretty common reason for infant weight loss.
    The best gauge is the diaper output. if your baby is nursing on demand at least 8 times per day as well as through the night, and is getting a bunch of wet and poopy diapers, then dont worry too much about the pounds and ounces. Babies grow at their own paces, and breastmilk really does give the best source of nutrition. if you're worried that the baby really isnt getting enough milk, then best to see your local lll leader or a good LC about latch.
    Supplementing with formula (while very occasionally necessary) ususally leads to more problems, and is definately poorer nutrition.
    Let us know how it goes.

hi all again

Midwife just been to see me and baby. She is not worried about baby, said baby seems to be feeding fine (checked latch) and will weigh her again on Thursday. She did tell me to eat and drink more.

regards
    debbie

hey if you need more help just ask.
    You could ask the midwife to weight the baby after she nurses. that would show how much milk the baby is getting. (if its a good scale)..
    Some just don't work well for oz of weight gain.
    good luck...

HI

Thank you for your replies. Baby is having 3/4 dirty nappies a day and about 6/8 wet ones. I can sometimes hear her gulp milk down but not all the time.

She is feeding often last night she fed from 10pm until 1.20am. Then woke up at 2.30am and 6am and 9am. She is still awake now and looking like she need feeding again!!

regards

Debbie

It is pretty normal for a nb to loose weight in those beginning days. My son was 7lbs 8 0z and got down in the 6 something area that first week. It takes time for your milk to come in, but once in you will see your child steadly gaining. As long as the diaper output is in pace and your child is content at the breast, all is fine. You are doing the right thing getting your mid-wife involved. In the beginning I did the same thing with the hospitals lactation consultant, we weighted him naked bf a feeding and after a feeding to gauge intake. Also had latch evaluated and I got some help with differnet feeding positions. I can't stress enought the importance of establishing your BF help network. If not for them, I don't think I would have been sucessful.