Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis Questions-OB Gone--PLEASE REPLY ASAP SO I CAN GO TO BED!

Unhappy Mastitis Questions-OB Gone--PLEASE REPLY ASAP SO I CAN GO TO BED!

I think I have mastitis in my left breast. It started out feeling engorged but it didn't go away with nursing. Then I got Achy all over my body, hot/cold sweats, Toe curling pain when I nurse... or when I don't. etc. I looked it up on Kelly mom and the description sounds like exactly what I have.

So Here is my Question. My OB is out of town this week. Thus why instead of a 6 week PP check I have a 7 week PP check. I will call in the morning to see if I can see a different doctor in the office but due to insurance I think I would need a new referral. So do you think my sons Ped could treat me since I am his main source of food? He is the one who treated us both for thrush. Is this something that can be passed to my son?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to ease the pain? Its 2:45 am my time and I haven't got any sleep from the breast pain and body aches.

One last question... Could this be the reasoning for my sons vomiting yesterday? and still today but today its more chunky spit-up. He never really spit up before this. I have noticed in the past few hours though he is fine after the right breast only vomiting on the left breast.

Default Re: Mastitis Questions-OB Gone--PLEASE REPLY ASAP SO I CAN GO TO BED!

hope you got some rest..
    its ok to take what ever your doctor says is ok for pain.

You might try calling the hosptial where you had your baby.
    As to speek to the head nurse in ob and ask her who you can call.
    Explain that your doctor is out of town and everything.
    The doctor thats on call for the ob might be willing to give you and anti-botic with out seeing you.
    a baby that young you need to get the infection kicked quickly.
    Check out pro-abotics too....for thursh

Oh, yuck- What you describe really does sound mastitis-y. I think any doc should be able to help you- just call 'em and see!

Okay, pain-relief:
    - Tylenol
    - Cold compresses made from refrigerated grated potato. Change compress as soon as it gets warm

General mastitis care:
    - Lots of fluids
    - Vary nursing position. Try to get baby's chin pointing at the engorged area, as the most suction is generated in the direction the baby's chin points. Try "all-fours" position, with affected breast dangling into baby's mouth. Gravity may help draw out the engorgement.
    - Start all nursing sessions on affected breast as babies suck most efficiently when they are beginning a feed.
    - Examine nipple of affected breast for blebs/blisters which may be causing the plugged ducts.

I would suspect that your son is feeling a little sick, which caused your mastitis, rather than your mastitis causing your son's sickness. A baby who's feeling a yucky might vary his nursing pattern and fail to adequately drain your breast.

I hope you start feeling better ASAP! Sorry no-one got back to you last night!

i know thats how i felt when i had mastitis in both breasts and they say it doesnt affect the babies but it affected my daughter she was throwing up and her poor tummy was hurting her and making her cry it was heart breaking, but as soon as i was on the meds for two days it was fine for her, luckily for you it sounds like only one breast. As for your doc i have no idea how it works in the U.S.
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

Well I called Nancy, my nurse at the OB office, and she just called him on vacation! YOU ROCK NANCY! lol Anyways yes its mastitis. She is calling me in a RX antibiotic. But my OB said NO NURSING AT ALL for 7-10 days. Pump and feed only. ANd dont feed if there is puss or green in it. OH NO!!!

When I pump until I stop spraying/driping and I cant get any more out of either breast (about 4-6 oz) he will drink it all and then want to nurse. I have the "Breast Flow" bottles so he shouldn't be drinking it so fast and wanting more just because of the bottle. Its shaped just like my breast and needs compression and suction to work. He transitions well but Im afraid 7-10 off me will cause problems! and what if he is still hungry after the bottle? Im so sad!

bad info its ok to nurse....
    what kind on anti-botic did they give you?

it used to be very common to tell mothers to wean because of mastitis but current research shows that it only makes it worse and the best thing to do is keep nursing frequently!
    Here are a couple of links on it

Dealing with a Plugged Duct or Mastitis

Plugged Ducts and Mastitis
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofmyboys View Post
    I think I have mastitis in my left breast. It started out feeling engorged but it didn't go away with nursing. Then I got Achy all over my body, hot/cold sweats, Toe curling pain when I nurse... or when I don't. etc. I looked it up on Kelly mom and the description sounds like exactly what I have.

Do you have a fever? What is your temperature?

Is this something that can be passed to my son?
    Not at all.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to ease the pain? Its 2:45 am my time and I haven't got any sleep from the breast pain and body aches.
    *Ask your doctor about taking an OTC anti-inflamatory/analgesic such as ibuprofen
    *REST! If at all possible, go to bed for the day and take baby with you
    *Drink plenty of fluids--if your urine is pale, you're getting enough
    *Eat nutritiously
    *Nurse frequently--aim for every two hours
    *Apply wet or dry heat to the affected area, gently massage while still warm before nursing
    *Basin method-Lean over a basin of warm water or lie on side in a warm bathtub and soak breasts for 10 minutes, 3x per day.
    *Massage-work over the lump using the palm of your hand and all fingers, work in a gentle but firm circular motion. If it's not too painful, try kneeding from the armpit working towards the nipple, too.
    *Nurse immediately after heat/massage
    *Nurse on the affected side first
    *Loosen any constrictive clothing (especially the bra)
    *Assure baby is latched on well
    *Vary nursing positions
    *Use breast compressions during nursing
    *Try "dangle feeding". This is when you nurse while leaning over baby, so that your breast is freely hanging from your ribcage.
    *Cold compresses between feedings will help reduce swelling and pain. A bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel makes a handy cold pack.

If fever and discomfort are still present after about 24 hours of rest, heat, massage and frequent nursing, then the mother may want to contact her health care professional. If a medication is prescribed, it is important to remind health care professionals that it should be compatible with breastfeeding. While the mother is on medication, continued rest, heat treatment and frequent breastfeeding will promote recovery. If an antibiotic has been prescribed, using the entire prescription will help to avoid recurrence of the infection.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    One last question... Could this be the reasoning for my sons vomiting yesterday? and still today but today its more chunky spit-up. He never really spit up before this. I have noticed in the past few hours though he is fine after the right breast only vomiting on the left breast.
    Perhaps if the milk itself is "chunky" due to the plug releasing while he's nursing.

But my OB said NO NURSING AT ALL for 7-10 days. Pump and feed only. ANd dont feed if there is puss or green in it. OH NO!!!
    Here's some helpful information:

From The Breastfeeding Answer Book pg 502
    Continued breastfeeding during mastitis will not harm the baby. Antibodies in the mother's milk protect the baby from any bacteria. Even temporary weaning is an unnecessary hardship at a time when a mother is not feeling well.

At one time it was standard procedure to recommend weaning with mastitis. However the mastitis clears up more quickly when the breast is not allowed to become overly full, and there is less risk of developing an abcess (Marshall 1975). Also, the mother is much more comfortable when she continues to breastfeed.

Breastfeeding should continue during treatment of any of these conditions. If an infection is present, the baby is safe from any germs due to the antibacterial properties of human milk. Continuing to breastfeed when experiencing a sore breast, plugged duct or breast infection will speed recovery.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    Treat mastitis as you would a plugged duct. Remember that it is perfectly safe to nurse your baby. Antibodies in your milk will protect your baby from any infection. Suggestions that you wean from the infected side may make matters worse. (See "Breast Abscess and Breast Lumps"). Frequent nursing will help the infection clear up more quickly. And again, take yourself off to bed. You're ill, and it's where you need to be!
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr07p76.html
    CAUTION: Do NOT decrease or stop nursing
    when you have a plugged duct or mastitis,
    as this increases risk of complications (including abscess).
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Feel better soon!

Thank you so much. I need to update but its late and LO is crying so time to feed. Will update in the morning

I'm sorry you're in so much pain... I hope it eased up while you slept. I've had plugged ducts before...but not mastitis...so I'm not sure if this advice will help. Sometimes, though, I can see the clog--a tiny little white speck in the nipple even smaller than a grain of sand. I've been able to gently wiggle it out--kinda like popping a zit. It helps if you follow the LLL posters' instructions and do the warm water or compress first. And you may feel silly nursing in different positions, like upside down or your head at baby's feet--but the strength of the baby's sucking can help loosen things up and pull it out. I massage the hardened tissue at the same time...

I hope this helps!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!