Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Probiotics

Question Probiotics

Ok I am learning what they are. I have known for a long time about acidophalus (sp?) and antibiotics etc. I also know its in pill and yogert. But how do I give some to LO? He cant swallow a pill and he cant have yogert yet. is there a liquid kind? whats the dose for a not quite 2 month old? Do I need Ped ok? If I take/eat it does he get enough that way?

I would love to know more about probiotics.

and sorry

Default Re: Probiotics

heres some info to start with
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080600.asp

you can get powder at the health food store.

I would definately ask pedi first and I don't think it would be as beneficial unless you or LO are on antibiotics or if your LO is having tummy trouble. If not, I would wait until LO can have yogurt. As you probably know, probiotics are mainly used to promote gut health, so I would use with colicky baby or gassy baby. It's good to introduce when LO's start solids to help digest new foods.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

I believe there is probiotics in breastmilk...... My dd has had alot of issues with her gut so I started her on them. They tend to make her poop so I only give them a few times a week. They sell infant ones at the health food store. Its a powder that you keep in the fridge. I mix it with applesauce and give it to my 10 month old a few times a week.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!