Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sick and breastfeeding

Default sick and breastfeeding

so i was just wondering if im sick can my baby get sick when i bf him? and i was also wondering if it was safe to take peptobismol while breastfeeding? it said on the label to talk to you physician but their not answering the phones.

Default Re: sick and breastfeeding

It's great to breastfeed while you're sick (see here)! Your antibodies actually protect your baby. Baby might get sick, but it's probably from other kinds of contact. Continued breastfeeding may even help him get better faster! I got a bad headcold last week: DS just had it for three days while I've still got it!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Yes to the above reply - and I'd steer clear of pepto. THere are other options... which symptom are you looking to "relieve"?

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryssa View Post
    It's great to breastfeed while you're sick (see here)! Your antibodies actually protect your baby. Baby might get sick, but it's probably from other kinds of contact. Continued breastfeeding may even help him get better faster! I got a bad headcold last week: DS just had it for three days while I've still got it!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Your lo has already probably been exposed to whatever you were exposed to. The antibodies in the milk will help protect him. If he does get sick, it won't be from the milk but instead will be because he was already exposed.

I was told pepto-bismol contains aspirin so you should avoid it while pregnant or bf.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Believe in the wonders of breastmilk! My LO has been exposed to the flu, 3 different colds and now second-time chicken pox, and nope, hasn't gotten any of it! (knock on wood...) She had goopy eyes for 3 days and that is it for her 4 months of life. As long as mom is exposed with baby, mom's antibodies get passed to baby in the milk.

I have no idea what a daycare situation would be like, where the LO can be exposed to illnesses that mom isn't.