Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you get some fats in?

Default Re: How do you get some fats in?

Thank you - how do I know if its farm raised salmon or safe salmon?
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

It 'should' say on the package.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

From what I understand Alaskan salmon cannot be farmed and is always wild. Or is it that Alaskan salmon cannot have any added dyes?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    From what I understand Alaskan salmon cannot be farmed and is always wild. Or is it that Alaskan salmon cannot have any added dyes?
    My understanding is that you're safe with Alaskan. If it says "Atlantic" then it is farm-raised.

Do y'all know how the flesh gets "dyed"? Shortly before they are caught, the fish are fed a medication that causes their blood vessels to burst...this is what causes the pink color!!

Plus, farm-raised just doesn't have any of the "good-stuff" we want in our salmon (high omega-3s, etc)...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I'm a born and raised Alaskan, my father's family are all in commercial fishing. All Alaskan salmon are wild. Its Atlantic that are farmed, and you should definitely stay far away from it. In addition to having high levels of mercury, farmed salmon are kept in pens, pumped full of antibiotics, and have their flesh dyed to look pink like healthy wild salmon.

Wild Alaskan salmon have very low levels of mercury compared to other kinds of seafood. Some studies have even been unable to detect ANY mercury in canned Alaskan salmon. Definitely the safest way to eat fish.

Wow, I didn't know any of this, thanks so much. Its kinda scary to wonder what else I don't know.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!