Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast milk on the go?

Question Breast milk on the go?

I am curious if you can take pumped breast milk with you when you are out and about and how long it stays good. I mean, if you are going to be out somewhere where you cant heat a bottle and don't want to breastfeed in public what do you do? Right now I bring ready-to-feed formula but I really want to be able to feed breast milk only because my 5 week old daughter doesn't seem to tolerate the formula too well. Can you take a bottle of breast milk out of the fridge and keep it without putting it with an ice pack? I know this probably sounds confusing but hopefully someone will know what I am trying to say here lol.

Default Re: Breast milk on the go?

I would take breastmilk in an ice pack when DS was young & I didn't want to NIP. He never minded it a little cold. Or I would take some frozen milk without an icepack & it would be thawed by the time he needed it. Breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for I believe 7 hours without going bad though.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

If you can, pump before you leave the house and the fresh milk should stay good unrefrigerated for a few hours at least. Or, you could keep the milk in a cooler and just feed it cold.
    Previously refrigerated milk is only good for about an hour outside of the fridge, I think

But, if you don't pump or express to replace the feeding it can mess with your supply.
    Curious- Are you afraid to NIP, or is it just certain places that you don't want to NIP?

I'm not really afraid of nursing in public, but it can be inconvenient and time consuming. For example, my hubby and I went to a family function and almost as soon as we got there my daughter was hungry and I had to breastfeed her, which takes 30-45 mintues. I just feel like I'm missing out on life sometimes but I really do want her to have breastmilk because I know how much better it is for her.

Do you have a sling or wrap that you can nurse in? When I learned to nurse my DS in the sling I felt so liberated! I didn't even have to look for a place to sit down when he needed to nurse and I could go about my business while he was snuggled up nursing away happy as can be!

Here's a kellymom link on milk storage: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html Fresh milk can stay at room temp for up to 10 hours.
    Last edited by FluffyN; March 26th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by wanting3more View Post
    Previously refrigerated milk is only good for about an hour outside of the fridge, I think
    Ive gone a A LOT longer than that! I usually take a bottle out of the fridge and by the time I need it (sometimes hours later) it is warmed up to a good temp! I also take two other bottles in a mini icepack cooler that fits in my diaper bag and when my lo eats the 1st bottle I take the next bottle out to start to gradually warm up to room temp!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

i would take milk out of the fridge alot and place it in the diaper bag for livy-monster to eat. i can't remember off the top of my head...but i believe that it is good for 8-10 hours. i always used the guidelines that were included with the breast milk bags and i never had any problems.

Great suggestions! I'm gonna look into maybe getting a sling so I can become more comfortable nursing in public. Good to know I can take my refrigerated milk with me too. I just really don't like using formula if I don't have to because it upsets my poor baby's tummy. Thanks for all the tips

Yay for slings! Check out the babywearing forum. The mamas there would have some suggestions for you. And also check out the nursing in public forum--lots of tips and support!

As for taking the milk with you, simply carry an insulated bag to keep the milk chilled. You can warm in a cup of warm water (if in a restaurant) or under warm, running water in a sink. Though, some babies do not mind a cold bottle of milk from time to time.

Here's the breastmilk storage guidelines:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html