Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand, Foot, Mouth disease,Now won't Nurse...Help!

Default Hand, Foot, Mouth disease,Now won't Nurse...Help!

My daughter is one year, three weeks and I am not read to stop nursing her yet. We've encountered a problem though. On Easter she stopped taking my breast and would only drink water. After a trip to her doctor we found out it is hand foot and mouth disease which is caued by a virus. I never bought pump this whole time as she comes to work with me and didn't break down and get one until Tuesay when the pain became unbearable and the reality that she wasn't going to start again soon set in. My question is, will she go back to it? I've been trying to pump but now I'm not getting much milk and she won't take it from a bottle either. Is she weaning herself or should I just be patient? What are the chances of her resuming? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Hand, Foot, Mouth disease,Now won't Nurse...Help!

My ds had the same virus a couple of months ago but luckily didn't have spots in his mouth/throat which causes the most discomfort and problems feeding. I would be patient and keep trying. HFMD only lasts a couple of weeks (I know...I said ONLY) I would continue to pump regularly to maintain your supply while she is not nursing. Would she take it in a cup? if it is not going to be used you could donate your bm rather than waste it. Try the same techniques used to encourage nursing a newborn...skin to skin...share a bath, plenty of cuddles and opportunity to nurse. Give pain killers as needed

hope she is better soon

One of mine had it too many years ago and it was a bad case. I agree with the other mom, keep pumping even if you are not getting much. Don't give up just yet. Did her doctor give her pain meds to help so she could nurse or not be so uncomfortable?
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Sorry to hear about your lo and hope that she feels better soon!

But this is the first time I am hearing about the hand foot and mouth thing - what is it? What happens, how do you get it, do you just have to wait for it to run it's course?

But this is the first time I am hearing about the hand foot and mouth thing - what is it? What happens, how do you get it, do you just have to wait for it to run it's course?
    here is a link to centres for disease control. It is a fairly common virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/...virus/hfhf.htm

She won't drink it from a cup or bottle. She seems interested at times but just bites and chomps when I offer. I'm going to continue to pump. The dr said it can last 10 days and she has it real bad. Poor baby has blisters on her hands, feet and knees. The rash on the rest of her looks a bit better today. Her bottom was wall to wall red bumps. FYI it looks like chicken pox or measels. Thanks for the words of suport.

Mine have all had it... Yay. She probably has sores in her mouth. Eszter only got the sores WAY back in her throat, but they can be on the tongue or in the cheeks, too. The twins were not into nursing when they had it, and the mouth sores can take awhile to clear up. She'll go back to nursing when she's not so uncomfortable. Have you tried breastmilk popsicles? Freeze them into cubes or onto sticks, it'll feel good in her mouth and give her the nutrients she needs to get better.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Talking Re: Hand, Foot, Mouth disease,Now won't Nurse...Help!

After a week and a half of this horrid virus she is back to nursing on her regular schedule. I was so close to giving up. She was soooo happy to start again and I was glowing with joy! She never did touch any bm in the bottle, all she would drink was water. Glad to have her back and going strong. Thanks for all of your support Ladies. I couldn't have done it without you.

What wonderful news!!! Glad your LO is all better. My guy had it too, last summer and his little mouth hurt to nurse as well. So happy you were able to get back on track!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK