Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Honey

Red face Breastfeeding and Honey

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I just wanted to make sure. Is honey ok when you are breastfeeding? The only time it's an issue is if you are actually feeding it to a newborn correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Suzanne

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Honey

All i know is that honey has a risk of causing botulism on infants but i think it's if you feed it to them..not sure about mom consuming it..hopefully someone will know..don't know why i responded..LOL

I have wondered the same thing, looking forward to the answerer.

I LOVE honey!!! Eat it all the time, in my tea, on my toast, etc. Have two happy, healthy breastfed children. My understanding is that you are not supposed to give honey directly to an infant. Apparently they used to dip pacifiers in honey in our parent's day. That is a bad idea. But for you, should be no problem! :-)

Smile Re: Breastfeeding and Honey

Honey is okay for a breastfeeding mother to eat but not okay to give directly to a child under age 1

We've already gotten an LLL answer (thanks, Carol!) and just to add some info... yup; the no honey to children under age 1 and also while a woman is pregnant has to do with botulism and any other dangerous microorganisms that might be present. Think about the enviroment that honey presents -- it's all sugar and perfect for 'bugs' to grow! Obviously for a pre-year-old baby, the immune system might not be strong enough to handle that and for a pregnant mom, foods are digested so much more slowly and stay in the stomach and digestive system longer, giving 'bad stuff' more of a chance to take hold in the body and pass on to the growing baby. This explains the no sushi, no unpasturized cheeses concepts too.......

J'smom

If you are pregnant then you might want to discuss this issue with your doctor. But from what I've read honey is alright for a pregnant woman to consume as well. The reason the honey cannot be given to a child under age 1 is because honey can contain botulism spores that their digestive tract cannot fend off. The gut flora in adults and older children can fend off botulism.

Unfortunately I don't have any approved LLL sources to back this up so you may want to do your own research on this one. Kellymom.com has some information as well as this page (neither are approved LLL sources though): http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,3wd1,00.html