Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Bm, fussy, and gassy

Default No Bm, fussy, and gassy

Cash has not had a BM in over a week, which I know can be normal in a BF baby BUT he's become a little fussy and is having some AWFUL smelling gas! Should I be worried?
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Default Re: No Bm, fussy, and gassy

How old, how many days? Any solids?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    How old, how many days? Any solids?
    He's 3 1/2 months old; it's been at least a week since he's had a BM, but I think more; no solids. I just noticed after posting this that his breath smells like the gas that he's passing also. It smells like an adult's diarreah fart. I'm more concerned now that the smell is comming from his mouth too!!! I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow morning but I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if anybody knows what it could be. TIA.

How does his belly look? Is it soft and roundish or distended and firm? Has he had any vomiting? If so, what does it look like?

If he has a soft belly, no pain when you push on it (gently), no vomiting, no fever, he is most likely doing ok. But the bad breath sounds strange to me, too. If it was something awful, he'd have a big, firm belly and be vomiting.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by NursieNurse View Post
    How does his belly look? Is it soft and roundish or distended and firm? Has he had any vomiting? If so, what does it look like?

If he has a soft belly, no pain when you push on it (gently), no vomiting, no fever, he is most likely doing ok. But the bad breath sounds strange to me, too. If it was something awful, he'd have a big, firm belly and be vomiting.
    I was so glad to see a post from you. You helped me with my last problem. I thought of the nontender, nondistended abdomen last night so I gently pressed on it and it was soft and he acted like it didn't bother him for me to press it. It looks normal to me - round. He's been spitting up a little more than usual but it's still just spit up, not vomiting. No fever, rash, or anything else abnormal. He's probably fine. I know if I call the ped, they'll say bring him in and to be honest, I'd rather stay away from the doctor's office b/c last time we went my 2-year-old caught a cold and gave to all of us! She can't keep her hands off the toys there - why do they even HAVE nonwashable toys and books there??!! Anyway, if you think of anything, let me know.

I haven't thought of anything new. Keep us posted. I'll post if I come up with anything. And if anything changes and you think he's worse, call your doc. But non-washable toys in a doc's office? Yuck. I wonder about ours now--my guy is still little, so I've never noticed.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Cool Re: No Bm, fussy, and gassy

My lo is the same way, with the exception of the bad breath. Seems like now that he isn't giving as many poo poo's he's having serious gas + gas pain. I'm going to start giving him Mylecon here soon if it keeps up. Gas pain is the pits!

They have non washable toys at our ped's office as well as washables that I'd bet NEVER get washed (Really, honestly, how often do you think the nurses take the time to wash them?) I'm dreading taking him when he's older, and the fight we'll have about playing with those toys.
    Last edited by milk_milk; March 25th, 2008 at 10:26 AM.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Well, the bad breath was just one time and DH said it smelled like broccoli which I had the night before the breath started. The smelly gas started before the broccoli. Anyway, I called the ped and left a message. Waiting on a return call now. He really seems just fine though. He's still happy and having good wet diapers. I'll let you know what the ped says.

OK, so the ped said to give him 3-4 oz apple or pear juice OR do an infant enema! I'm not comfortable giving him the juice. What do you think about that? And then she said to give it to him twice a week to keep him going. I'm afraid that will take the place of a feeding and then my supply will go down. PLUS, I don't want my baby's first food to be sugary juice! What would you do? The enema or wait or juice?

Have you tried giving your LO gripe water? You can pick it up at nearly any pharmacy/grocery. My LO is soothed by it. Also, have you eaten dairy or some other irritant? I ate ice cream a few weeks ago and my LO didn't have a bowel movement for about a week & it took several bowel movements for him to get normal.

Also, we tried gently massaging his belly & pushing his legs up/crunches... to help him learn to squat/push.

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~