Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thicker poop?

Default Thicker poop?

This is a new one for me. Drew is nearly 4 months old and ebf. Twice now, he's had thicker poop. The color is right but the consistancy is of a formula poop,thick and pasty. There have been no solids either. Any ideas? He tends to be a gassy baby anyway but seems gassier when this happens.

Default Re: Thicker poop?

Hmmm...been having a lot of dairy products? That always changes my daughter's poop consistency. Or, a cold maybe? She also gets thicker (mucousy) and more gassy if she's got some post nasal drip.

It does indeed change consistency as they get older, or you change your diet, or when you start introducing some solids. Well, at least our dd's BM's did, and she is EBF as well. I believe it was at about that age when she started to "thicken-up" too.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Hmmm, I have been eating a lot of chocolate since Easter. Maybe it is the milk thing.

Usually when the consistency changes, so does the color. It normally can be described as both the consistency and color of Peanut butter? Yours is still mustard yellow?

Way too lazy for formula

Peanut butter is a perfect way to describe it! He's had the yellowish brown color from very early on. I remember Kat had that color too. I was having a hard time getting him to nurse yesterday too. I had to wait until he was sleeping and wake him up to nurse. I also had to nurse him on the bed laying down. He has just a touch of a cold too with clear discharge and slightly stuffy.

Oh yes, the pudding poop. My 4 month old LO gets it. She's always been a gassy girl We're going on the assumption that she is digesting more efficiently and thoroughly, hence the absence of 4 times per day poos like the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by chris&co View Post
    Peanut butter is a perfect way to describe it! He's had the yellowish brown color from very early on. I remember Kat had that color too. I was having a hard time getting him to nurse yesterday too. I had to wait until he was sleeping and wake him up to nurse. I also had to nurse him on the bed laying down. He has just a touch of a cold too with clear discharge and slightly stuffy.
    Yes the peanut butter poop means that their digestive is maturing and usually is in conjunction with the baby no longer going every day. The peanut butter poop is usually the "been saving up" kind. It's absolutely no cause to worry. And neither is no poop for 10-14 days. Breastfed kids just don't always go every day.

Way too lazy for formula