Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all solids giving baby gas, waking him up repeatedly at night!

Default all solids giving baby gas, waking him up repeatedly at night!

ever since we started solids around 6 - 7 months (which LO has fought at home, but taken to at daycare), my 8.5 month old has excessive gas and farting. this is the case no matter what solids he eats. he did not have this problem before starting solids, and has been on medication for reflux for several months now. he wakes up about every hour or so at night, painfully farting. this is making life very difficult for all of us due to lack of sleep. what can i do to help my dear baby? anyone else having this problem? most of the foods we've tried are "gerber first foods" and then regular bananas. we can't do anything milk related b/c he has a milk allergy.

Default Re: all solids giving baby gas, waking him up repeatedly at night!

have you tried giving gas drops (mylicon is the brand name, but Target makes a generic for about $3.50!) with the solids meal and before bed? That might help. We used to give them to my LO with every meal (nursing) from the time she was about 1 week old. She doesn't need them with BM anymore, but we have been giving them to her at night since we've started solids. I would have the daycare give them to him when they feed him solids and then you could give them again before bed... might help!

does it seem like constipation-type gass pains...like he's trying to poop, but can't? If so, try some of the "p" fruits (peaches, prunes, pears) not all at once of course, introduce them like normal. Bananas and rice cereal can cause baby's to become constipated and have trouble pooping. Also, water can help a little with constipation. I hope others have some advice.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by stacie78 View Post
    have you tried giving gas drops (mylicon is the brand name, but Target makes a generic for about $3.50!) with the solids meal and before bed? That might help. We used to give them to my LO with every meal (nursing) from the time she was about 1 week old. She doesn't need them with BM anymore, but we have been giving them to her at night since we've started solids. I would have the daycare give them to him when they feed him solids and then you could give them again before bed... might help!
    the gas drops don't seem to help his gas. i wish they did though, thanks for the suggestions. i try giving them throughout the night too.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    does it seem like constipation-type gass pains...like he's trying to poop, but can't? If so, try some of the "p" fruits (peaches, prunes, pears) not all at once of course, introduce them like normal. Bananas and rice cereal can cause baby's to become constipated and have trouble pooping. Also, water can help a little with constipation. I hope others have some advice.
    he doesn't seem constipated. when he goes it is a good consistency. i don't think he is straining to poop, but does strain hard for the gas. we have tried peaches and pears. he can't have prunes yet b/c of food allergies (we are following the food allergy introduction guide that is linked to in the food allergy forum). he seems to get gas from all of these fruits, and also all the veggies we've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    the gas drops don't seem to help his gas. i wish they did though, thanks for the suggestions. i try giving them throughout the night too.
    Have you tried giving the drops with the meal? By the time it's "lower" gas pain and he's working it out that end, the gas drops can't reach it. So sorry your little guy's having so much trouble! That's no fun for either of you!

I personally would go back to just nursing for a while. That's what we did when DD had trouble with solids.

Have you tried gripe water?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I personally would go back to just nursing for a while. That's what we did when DD had trouble with solids.

Have you tried gripe water?

Same thing here... we had lots of issues with solids and didn't really eat much till around 8.5 to 9 months... if he has food allergies he just might not be ready.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

we have tried several gripe waters. none seemed to help. he is eating almost constantly (gets EBM from bottles as i exclusively pump), and it seems like when he doesn't have solids he is hungrier than usual and drinks so much milk that his reflux gets worse, which in turn makes bad gas too. it is like a never ending cycle for the poor child.

Is the gas only at night? I found that my DD had to have dinner a GOOD 3-4 hours before bed or there was SERIOUS gas. No solids after about 3:30 pm for us till after 10 months. I also stopped rice cereal and switched to Earths Best baby oatmeal for breakfast.

I agree to offer the breastmilk as often as possible, perhaps in smaller amounts. By 8 months, my DD had dropped from 7 or 8 ounce bottles back to 5 ouncers. She also had "reflux symptoms" though not severe enough to treat, recure a bit until about 9 or 10 months, when they magically disappeared.

Finally, rather than offering "first foods" try cooking squash till very soft, cubing it, and allowing him to self-feed. You might be overfeeding him and he doesn't realize he can say "no thanks" yet.