Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: food mill, food pro, blender...?

Default food mill, food pro, blender...?

For those who make their own baby food, what do you find is the best thing to use- food mill- manual or electric, food processor, blender...? Any particular brands that are better than others? Anything special about the ones you see in the baby stores vs. the regular appliance section? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm getting ready to start solids and trying to figure out if I need to buy something to make it easier.

Default Re: food mill, food pro, blender...?

I have been using my blender (cannot afford a food pro.) and it works out great for me. I have not made much because I got a great deal on earth's best jar 2nd but I have made, prunes, sweet potatoes, and squash. I also have a handmill I got for $6 from target. It is okay my mom loves it I can make food for in a snap like Easter dinner she got fresh carrots with mrs. dash and white potatoes. I leave it on the count to grab when I go out just in case I am some where with fresh food.

HTH and have fun
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

I got a Kitchen Aid food processor. I LOVED it! It was easy to use, easy to clean, had the ability to make a really large batch (or really small batch) easily and was also easy to adjust the consistency (runny puree, thicker puree, chunky, etc.) as DD grew. It wasn't labor intensive to use, meaning I just prepared the food as required, dropped it in and pushed a button. The lid has a part (can't think of a good way to describe it, sorry) that allowed me to pour b/m in while it was running and it prevented any splatter, etc. I loved that feature.

Now that she's eating adult food, I still use the processor for all other kinds of foods that I make (it grates, chops, purees, mixes, etc.), so I really feel that it was a good investment.

Okay, I'll stop now. I feel like I'm in an infomercial, hehe. I really do highly recommend it, though. It's pricier than some of the other options, but it will last me through all the kids to come and I'm also able to use it when I'm no longer making baby food.

I bought a food processor and regret it now. I think it will eventually come in handy, but I've just been using my blender. It's a pretty good one and it will grind up rice really well for homemade rice cereal. My food processor was useless for that. If you are interested in making rice cereal, I've heard coffee grinders are also really good for that.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I've used both my blender and food processor and found that my blender did a better job of getting the puree smooth when DD was younger. That said, my food processor is a basic one, so maybe a more expensive brand would work better.

I'd just recommend that you try whatever appliances you have first. You'll probably find something that works well without having to get anything new. Good luck with your LO's venture into food. It's so much fun!

I've been using my blender, a food mill and the Magic Bullet (I got as a Christmas gift).
    I bought the KidCo baby food mill because I liked it when I tried it at a baby food class. It's ok, but it's really not necessary (I'll bring it with me to family's houses so I can just grind food up for L there). It's more of a luxury item.
    The magic bullet is great for grinding up rice into powder form for rice cereal, and is smaller than my blender so I use it more often.

If you could only have one appliance, I'd go with a blender. It's probably all you'll need. (Note: FWIW I haven't tried to grind rice or millet in the blender so I don't know how it would turn out)
    HTH
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

I've tried them all and I think hands down an immersion/stick blender is the way to go. First of all, you can make bigger batches and control everything. For example, I find in a blender and food processor, if you put too much you have to keep stopping and shoving the food down with a spoon and oftentimes it will pulverize the stuff on the bottom and not rotate the food - I have a high quality kitchen aid blender but a so so food processor so could be my appliance. With the immersion blender you can move the stick around and lift up and push down stirring as you go so it all gets blended. I put the food in a tall quart size tupperware thing you get from restaurants when you order soup. Plus it's super easy to clean, just run under water and/or run in a bowl of water. No cleaning out the blade and parts of blender/food processor. I've made squash, sweet potato, green beans, peas, prunes, apricots, mango, apples, pears, spinach, broccoli . . . I do run the puree of pear, apple, prune and apricots through a metal food mill to get the skins out though. I'm sure you could just puree more if you wanted to instead. hth!!

Well I use the magic bullet... so far is been a good product.. its pures meat, vegies and frutes... the only thing I dont like to do in it are spinash... some how they dont get well pured.... about cereals I prefer to buy the Gerber's brands the ones that have DHA.... sometimes I use a blender, but honestly I the Magic Bullets cause it has less part to wash .... Other then washing extra parts blender is fine

what's a magic bullet?