Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low milk - Sleepy baby

Default Low milk - Sleepy baby

I successfully breastfed my first two children. My new daughter was born on March 15, 2008. Both my husband and I are adamant about me exclusively breastfeeding our baby. However, after she latches on she sucks for about two minutes and then falls asleep. I've tried undressing her, using a cool damp washcloth on her forehead, tickling her feet, etc. all to no avail. In the past few days she was especially fussy and constantly rooting. So, I was feeding her on demand which seemed to be all day. Yesterday, I tried pumping after her feeding (Medela - pump in style) and I only produced enough milk to barely cover the bottom of the collection bottle. This sent me into a panic that our daughter wasn't being nourished. I went to the pediatrician to have her weighed. She weighed in at 6lbs, 5 oz which is 10% less than her birth weight of 7lbs, 4 oz.

The doctor ordered that our baby immediately receive 2 oz. of formula every 2 hours for the next 48 hours when she'll return to the doctor for another weigh in. Also, that I pump for 15 minutes every 3 hours to get my milk to return. The doctor explained that, at this point, our baby is too weak to breastfeed due to the loss of weight and has gotten used to the lack of calories from not receiving enough breast milk.

Our baby is taking the formula well, but at some feedings she's just too full from the last feeding to finish. But, we're still offering the 2oz. anyway. As for myself, it's been a little more than 12 hours since I started the pumping routine, but I'm still not producing more than about 1/2oz. from each breast. I started, yesterday, taking (3) 610mg capsules of fenugreek with each meal to stimulate my milk production. And, I'm drinking Mother's Milk tea. I'm really concerned that even if my milk comes back that the baby won't want to breastfeed anymore because of the supplementation.

My questions are:
    Is there a chance that, no matter what I do, I won't be able to produce enough milk? Also, what do you think of the doctor's order of 2oz. of formula every 2 hours? Should I substitute as many of the feedings I can with breast milk accumulated from my pumping sessions? How can I be successful at returning my daughter to breastfeeding?

Default Re: Low milk - Sleepy baby

I'm pretty sure only 3% of the population literally can't produce enough milk, so I think your odds are pretty good that you'll get back to it. I think that, in this situation, formula was necessary, but once your baby's back up to the desired weight it's a good idea to wean off the formula. Dr. Newman always says that Formula should be treated more like medication: give it to those who need it, and try to get back to the breast once it's no longer needed. If I were you, I'd give the expressed milk, then top up with formula once that's done. I think the best way to help you be successful would be to get help from an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, and from your local La Leche League Group. They can provide the hands-on help that is the only thing we lack here. I also recommend spending some time on Dr. Jack Newman's website, www.drjacknewman.com (especially the following links: http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=94&Itemid=125 http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=92&Itemid=123), and if possible, picking up his book (it's called Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding in Canada...can't remember what it's called in the States, but I'm sure you can get Amazon.ca to ship there). There are lots of helpful videos and handouts on the website, and in his book it teaches a lot about relactating and getting from formula to breast.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Thanks, Iryssa. I called the LC from the hospital where I gave birth. She told me that the piston type rental pump would be the best way to get my milk back. Something about that pump pumping differently than the Medela. Apparently, the Medela is good for maintaining your milk supply, but not so good for getting it back. So, this morning I went back to the hospital and rented the pump. With it, I'm getting about 1oz. from one side and slightly more than 1/2oz. from the other. So it really does work better, but I don't understand why the piston suction (Ameda hospital pump) works better than the diaphragm suction (Medela). The LC explained that it's not the power of the suction -- it's the type of suction. Hopefully, this will improve my milk supply enough to get back to bf soon. By the way, it's been about 48 hours since I started taking fenugreek, but I haven't noticed any change yet.

I agree with you about the formula being used as a medication. The hospital LC also told me that I would certainly need to visit a private LC to help me wean off the formula and determine why this happened in the first place. I took my daughter back to the pediatrician today and she's already gained 7oz. The doctor wants me to continue formula at 2 - 3oz every 2 - 3 hours for the next two weeks. But, as soon as my milk comes back I'll be visiting the LC to begin weaning back to breast milk. I want her to be off formula as soon as possible. Thanks for the links. They look very helpful. I'll continue to post my progress. Hopefully, it will help someone else.

you should also try mother mile, check otu this link www.motherlove.com, these pills boosted my supply in 2 days and i was back up and runnign and my LO was eating like crazy.....good luck, you are a great mommy!!!!
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

I am becasue you are and you are because i am!

all day and Love all night!
    with DH Corey for 1 1/2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom843 View Post
    By the way, it's been about 48 hours since I started taking fenugreek, but I haven't noticed any change yet.
    Maybe try taking Blessed Thistle at the same time: Dr. Newman says they work best when taken together. He gives dosages on the page that talks about herbs (the third link in my previous post).

Glad to hear she's gaining! Good luck and I'm praying for continued success for you guys!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Your body will need time to adjust to the demand in supply you are creating. Give it at least a week before you worry about how much your supply is actually changing. You are an organic being, not a faucet, mama!

I have no advice, but wanted to offer you an online . Good luck to you. I hope you can turn this around soon. Your a great mom for working so hard for your LO!

My OB doctor gave me Reglan which I started last night. This morning my production was double what it had been on one side -- about 55ml. However, on the other side I'm still getting very little -- less than 15ml. This happened with my first two children as well. They started favoring the producing side and my breasts became very lopsided. That seems to be happening again. Any ideas?

My daughter's now up to 7lbs 1oz. I have her on formula of about 3oz. every 3 hours or so. Today, I started substituting some of the formula feedings for my pumped milk. Is that ok? I want her to have as much breast milk as possible.

Thanks for all the help. Here's a link someone sent me for mothers with low milk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJrBRYxDNSE

Thats terrific! Your breast milk is going to be way easier to digest than the formula! Great news!

I too struggled with low supply. Have you thought of using a supplemental nursing system or a lact aid? You can supplement at the breast so you can be close skin to skin and stimulate breasts at the same time. You can also use your expressed breast milk. I used the sns and it worked great but ive heard the lact aid is easiers to use. With this, youll notice the baby has more of a productive suck and this is gooooood so your breast will make more and baby will be happier and be more alert because baby will be getting more milk.
    Last edited by nina29; March 31st, 2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: wanted to add...

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert