Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eyes and nose...

Question eyes and nose...

I have been reading more on getting the right latch, and it says that I should not have to hold the skin away from her nose so she can breathe. But I do have to or she pulls away because she can't breathe. I am on the bigger breasted side (no idea what size) so I don't know if maybe I just need to hold it back for her?

Also everything I have read says she should be able to look at me while nursing, but it always seems like that would be uncomfortable for her to do in the position she is in. Does this mean that she is positioned wrong??

One more thing.. I am proud to say that today is 1 month of bf!!! I wanted to give up so many times, but thanks to everyone's support on here and at home, I stuck with it!! Thank you all so much!! I am so glad we kept going!!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Cool Re: eyes and nose...

My LO has this same problem. I'm no expert, but I think that if the diaper output is good, and you're not in pain, it should be ok

Go you! Doing great!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Default Re: eyes and nose...

i am also quite large in the breast area and ive always had to hold a bit away from his nose...and use 1 hand to support breast and 1 to hold baby....tbh...i read somewhere if baby is gaining well on moms milk and has enough nappy output, and nursing isnt painful after initial latching on then position and latch is in effect good..even if not textbook..

look at this link..http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

I'm also on the larger breasted side and some positions we nurse in require me to hold part of my boob off of her nose, some don't. We have been EBF since day 1 with great output and weight gain and no pain, so I say if it's not broken, don't fix it!
    ~Jaime~
    AP Mommy of
    Madison Anne
    February 8th, 2008

Exclusively since Day 1!

We love , and cloth diapering! !

Again like the other moms have said, I have very large breasts 42 G and I HAVE to hold my bresat away from babys nose, other wise she cant breath. 1 hand to hold baby and 1 to hold breast. Its hard sometimes cuz i dont have a free hand to do things with (pull my shirt down, to fix the nursing apron) but I woudlnt change it for the world I love breastfeeding =)

CONGRATS with sticking with BFing!!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Here is a link to Dr Newman's videos that advise on achieving the asymmetrical latch. You want the chin tin the breast and the nose away from the breast.

http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Okay, I'm not really large breasted, so from PPs it sounds like it just might be normal...but I find if DD's nose is sqished, I need to shift her body over a little, forcing her to tilt her head up a bit. This pushes her chin more into the breast, and frees her nose up to breath better.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I'm in the itty bitty *itty club, so I can't help with the size issue.

However, even with my smaller breasts, my dd1 never looked into my eyes, always at my arm.

Are you comfortable? Is there any pain? Is diaper output good?

If all that's in check, I'd say you're doing great!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

ok well that makes me feel better!! From what everyone said and what I read, it looks like my issues are perfectly normal for big breasted women!! Thanks so much everyone!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs