Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Blocked Ducts

Default Re: Tired of Blocked Ducts

Quote Originally Posted by mangai View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

Can you try taking Lecithin supplements ?

Thanks
    Mangai
    I will look into it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Soy lecithin is recommended for recurrent blocked ducts, but proceed with caution because some babies can be sensitive to the soy. When I took it my son vomitted.

Are you wearing a sling, purse, backpack, diaper bag, etc that could be contributing to the blockages?

The big question: does your bra fit right? Are you wearing underwire? I had to give up bras completely to keep my blocked ducts away. I know thats not an option for everyone though.

One more thing. I found when I was taking Omega oil in my orange juice daily I got more blocked ducts. I started taking it every 2 days instead of every day and it improved.

Here is a handout from Dr Jack Newman regarding recurring blocked ducts, hope it can be useful to you:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=33&Itemid=219

HTH
    Lyn
    Thank you!

You know, my 2 older LOs had reactions to the soy I eat (vegetarian) so maybe not a good idea for me to take a supplement? I'll still look into the soy lecithin info but not sure about taking it.

My bra fits good but mostly been wearing sleeping bras all the time leaving one side of strap off but still covering breast to keep a pad in it for leakage b/c my one side is blocking the most now. Actually LC told me today I have mastitis again. (4th time) I'd love to not wear a bra but I leak so much. How do you go about not wearing one if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the link too!

Are you wearing a sling, purse, backpack, diaper bag, etc that could be contributing to the blockages?

Lyn
    Actually, I was so looking forward to babywearing my little guy from early on but the blockages & mastitis makes it impossible b/c too painful. I am disappointed that I can't wear him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    Here are two helpful resources:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Are you still block nursing?

If the oversupply is really causing problems for you, and typical oversupply "fixes" aren't working, perhaps talk to your IBCLC about moving forward to more drastic means to decrease your overall milk production? Here's some info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    Yes I am still block nursing. Thank you for the links. I will definately give them a look!

Soy lecithin is recommended for recurrent blocked ducts, but proceed with caution because some babies can be sensitive to the soy. When I took it my son vomitted.

The big question: does your bra fit right? Are you wearing underwire? I had to give up bras completely to keep my blocked ducts away. I know thats not an option for everyone though.

One more thing. I found when I was taking Omega oil in my orange juice daily I got more blocked ducts. I started taking it every 2 days instead of every day and it improved.

Here is a handout from Dr Jack Newman regarding recurring blocked ducts, hope it can be useful to you:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=33&Itemid=219

HTH
    Lyn
    what is omega oil? is it a supplement, etc.? does it help prevent something? (not sure if you mean like the omega supplements or something different)

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    what is omega oil? is it a supplement, etc.? does it help prevent something? (not sure if you mean like the omega supplements or something different)
    It is Udo's brand and its a DHA combo of Omegas 3,6, and 9 (flax seed oil, and other oils combined). I was taking it daily to increase my good oils.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by mangai View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

Can you try taking Lecithin supplements ?
    This is what my LLL leader recommended for us because I have had mastitis 3 times and blocked ducts several times too. Never got around to trying it yet, so i can't tell you if it works. I have breast implants and I think that is what causes trouble for me, since they put pressure on the ducts. Sorry you are going thru this, we know how painful and sick you feel.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

i saw you can't due the supplement and I thought of one other thing i don't know if it was mentioned but try to go without a bra at night too help. You have to deal with the leaking but nothing a towel won't fix.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

I had soooo many blocked ducts with my first, I stopped counting.

Developed only a few the second time, but I did get mastitis once.

I finally figured out the following:
    • cut out saturated fats. And I mean it . .. Look at everything that goes into your mouth. No butter. No milk, nothing. I was able to start eating more later, but it really helped to cut all that out for a few days when I started feeling one coming on.
    • Look at the bras. I finally (3+ years into nursing) figured out that whenever I wear this one nursing tank I have, I get a blocked duct. I am never wearing that item again. But I didn't connect it for a while. Look at the ones you are wearing a few days before you have the problem start up.
    • Vary positions. Hard when you have a big baby (I've had two) but switch sides, sit up during the day, stuff like that.
    • Oversupply. Check out the links. I have that too Nice but yet not.
    • Lecithin.

But IMHO, what really helped the second time was using wool nursing pads. They keep the ducts warm. I had way fewer the second time, even thought I had even more milk in the first few months with my second (and I still leak, 16 months into our nursing relationship). You can find them at www.cottonbabies.com.

Sounds crazy, I know, but they are AMAZING. Soft, warm, very absorbent. I loved them. Can't wait to use them again.

Cabbage leaves never worked well for me . The only way I could clear them was to take a HOT shower and massage away. Sometimes I could actually see the pore blockage and remove it (not for the faint of heart . .. I am a trained surgeon though).

Good luck. I so can sympathize. You can get through this though.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't think this has been mentioned but remember the three basics for dealing with plugged ducts- apply heat, nurse frequently on the affected side and get lots of rest!

I am dealing with recurrent plugged ducts now right now and i think it might be turning in to my first case of mastitis... i nursed for 17 months without a single plugged duct and now have had it happen four times in the last two weeks. For me i think it's about my toddler's inconsistents nursing- both at night and during the day.

lyn- interesting what you said about omega. i recently starting taking cod liver oil for the omega 3s and wonder if this is linked to my sudden plugged ducts. i just can't remember what came first- the initial plugged duct or the oil! i bought the lechitin today but haven't started...

Heat is really helping me... nursing sure does hurt but i know it helps! have you talked to a local LLL leader?

Anne

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807