Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Blocked Ducts

Unhappy Tired of Blocked Ducts

Hey Everyone,
    DS is only 1 month old & already I've had mastitis 3 times, several blocked ducts & I just got over a painful armpit blockage to go into another blockage that REALLY HURTS! Never had as many problems w/ previous 2 LOs as I do this time around. I have OS & they nursed more often than this baby so maybe that is why? Maybe poor latch? I don't know but I am tired of the pain, feeling sick, hurting when I move. It's difficult to even pick LO up it hurts so bad! Can't sleep & it stinks to have to nurse on side that is painful to make it feel better & you know how bad it will hurt when they start nursing. DD & DS1 is sick & it will be a rough day for all of us. I am taking Tylenol, massaging while BFing & using cabbage leaves. Don't know what else to do. Feel like giving up.

Default Re: Tired of Blocked Ducts

Do you lay day and side nurse a lot? My friend did this with her 22lb 4month old because her arms just got so tired of holding that huge baby. She couldn't figure out why she kept getting plugged duct after plugged duct until the LC suggest that she nurse in varying positions so that they baby wasn't constantly nursing from 1 position.

Maybe that would help? Varying the positions of nursing a little?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

You should pm mollyb. She had problems and her health care provider recommended something, but I cna't remember what it was. Sorry I'm not help!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMommy View Post
    Do you lay day and side nurse a lot? My friend did this with her 22lb 4month old because her arms just got so tired of holding that huge baby. She couldn't figure out why she kept getting plugged duct after plugged duct until the LC suggest that she nurse in varying positions so that they baby wasn't constantly nursing from 1 position.

Maybe that would help? Varying the positions of nursing a little?
    Thank you TexasMommy. I will try to vary my positions more to see if will help. Just spoke to my LC & she said I have mastitis for the 4th time. She said it's pretty much from my OS & just keep doing what I have been although I am going to try to sleep w/ cabbage leaves at night which will be a first. Mornings are worse b/c DD doesn't nurse at night & baby nurses less at night than daytime. BTW, he was 12 lbs 13 oz at 28 days. Yes, arms are tired too, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    You should pm mollyb. She had problems and her health care provider recommended something, but I cna't remember what it was. Sorry I'm not help!!!
    Thank you moose! I will pm her.

Well, I tried to PM Molly but her box is full & it won't accept it.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

Can you try taking Lecithin supplements ?

Thanks
    Mangai

Mangai--that was the supplement Molly was talking about! No need to pm her now, Claire!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Soy lecithin is recommended for recurrent blocked ducts, but proceed with caution because some babies can be sensitive to the soy. When I took it my son vomitted.

Are you wearing a sling, purse, backpack, diaper bag, etc that could be contributing to the blockages?

The big question: does your bra fit right? Are you wearing underwire? I had to give up bras completely to keep my blocked ducts away. I know thats not an option for everyone though.

One more thing. I found when I was taking Omega oil in my orange juice daily I got more blocked ducts. I started taking it every 2 days instead of every day and it improved.

Here is a handout from Dr Jack Newman regarding recurring blocked ducts, hope it can be useful to you:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=33&Itemid=219

HTH
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Here are two helpful resources:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Are you still block nursing?

If the oversupply is really causing problems for you, and typical oversupply "fixes" aren't working, perhaps talk to your IBCLC about moving forward to more drastic means to decrease your overall milk production? Here's some info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html