Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water in addition to breastfeeding

Default Water in addition to breastfeeding

I've been advised by the clinic sister to give extra water (50 ml) twice daily .. to get him used to the bottle and water etc.

He's 8 weeks old and feeds very well on the breast, 3 hrly during the day and then only wakes at about 01:00 for a night feed, then sleeps until 6/7 in the morning.

Is it necessary to supplement with water/tea if he does not ask for it?

Default Re: Water in addition to breastfeeding

No! Babies shouldn't get water until they start solids, and even then they don't need much. Your milk is sufficient for all your baby's needs. Give water to an infant, and you risk hyponatremia (a sometimes fatal imbalance of fluids and salts). The clinic sister advised you to give a very small amount of water, so hyponatremia probably wouldn't be a problem- but I still wouldn't do it.

If you want him to get used to a bottle, you might want to pump a little milk and put that in the bottle instead.

Babies under 6 months of age should get breastmilk only according to the World Health Organization.

Waiting until baby is 4-6 weeks old to introduce a bottle (of pumped or hand-expressed milk) is recommended. Introducing a bottle earlier can cause babies to have difficulties latching on and nursing well. It's called "nipple confusion" and it's much easier to prevent than fix!

Avoiding Nipple Confusion

I hope that helps!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

thank you very much ... i felt in my gut that i shouldn't give anything besides milk, but it's good to get confirmation