Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing more with solids??

Default nursing more with solids??

ok, call me naive, but I thought that with the intro of solids my daughter wouldbe eating a .little less often. lol...she still nurses like a newborn! I know I have less milk, but she still nurses just as often. i did not think adding solids to her diet would make her sleep longer, but man it would be nice. I understand though as well that developmental milestones can cause night wakings too..anyway, is it too much to expect a little less nursing when your child is 8.5 months old? I love our nursing relationship, I honestly do! but sometimes I feel a little burned out. the night wakings and then add my 2.5 year old added to the mix and it makes for a very worn out mommy. I feel like there is nothing but time that will make a difference, and that makes me a little nutty feeling inside sometimes lol. I am in no rush to wean, I plan on nursing for as long as she needs to, but like I said, a little less time at mom's bar would sure make this nursing relationship more bearable at times!

Sarah

Default Re: nursing more with solids??

Oh darling - careful what you wish for! I just kept saying to my husband, "if she would just not nurse so often at night then maybe I'd get a little more sleep." Literally days later she went on a nursing strike that is now going on 40 days. Now I know there isn't any connection, but I wish I would have valued our nursing relationship more than I did.

Now you'd think that my DD would be sleeping through the night now that she isn't waking to bf at night, right? Unfortunately not. DD is 10 1/2 months old, eating 3 "meals" a day and taking in about 20 oz. of bm too. She still wakes about every 3 hours at night. We've tried a number of things, but nothing has worked to get her to sleep "though the night" yet. I've stopped trying to get her to now. I've decided to relish these 10 - 15 minute waking sessions at night as our quiet bonding time. Because I know that too soon, those too will end, and although I will certainly enjoy the extra minutes of sleep, it will mean that my DD is growing up. I'm not ready to rush that - and by no means am I suggesting that you are - but this is my new take on things.

Now, I don't have any other children ... so you've been doing this for 3 years or so now. I can imagine that you're reaching the end of your rope. Hang in there!!

Best of luck!

I am sao sorry you are going through such a long nursing strike. have you ruled out any other things that could be causing it? illness of some kind, any other fluids being taken in in some way other than the breast? I am assuming so, she is almost one anyway at any rate, I am sure this ha to be frustrating fro you. thank you for your input by the way! i do relish the quiet moments, about half the time lol...the other times I am covetting sleep. when I think that this time will be over soon, it really is bittersweet. but, we hope to have more children so I know I will visit this time again lol

When I first introduced solids to my DS, I, too, thought it would allow me to sleep a little more. I now know better! At one point, he started waking every two hours like he did when he was a newborn, despite the cereal and fruits! He eventually went back to 2x/night and then to 1x - but he did it in his own time.

Like Ailish's Mom, my son went on a strike (and never returned to nursing) - I too would give anything for those nights back now! On the positive side though - my DS did start sleeping 11 hours straight once he stopped nursing... sooo... I think they sleep when they're ready and not before

Good luck - and I hope you can get a little more sleep soon.
    Sarah

ditto-introducing solids caused my son wayyyyyyyyyyy more night wakings. He used to only wake once at night, nurse and go back to sleep, then just a little bit ago I tried to cut that out by giving him solids and nursing right before bed, and he got up wayyyyyyyyy more, infact, one night he didn't sleep at all, just screamed all night long. I cut back on solids during the day, picked up nursings he had dropped and the last few nights he has been back to only waking once at night again and going back to sleep after that nursing-bliss!

Same here. DS would wake every 2-3 hours for about a month after I introduced solids, but not when I started cereal. I am exhausted by the end of the week, but I LOVE our quiet alone time too!

like I said originally, I kNEW it wouldn't make her sleep more lol! sometimes, even if they are 6 months, they aren't quite ready for solids, and it gives them gas/upset stomach. which makes for more wakings at night. I was just thinking about the nursing sessions during the day. holy cow! she went from nursing every 3-4 hours(on her own) back to every1-2 hours. 8O killin' me I tell ya!