Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stomach flu & breastfeeding

Question Stomach flu & breastfeeding

My DS has the stomach flu. Although the pediatrician recommended that I stop nursing & give him only Pedialyte (what?!) I am continuing to breastfeed & I think he's getting better. Unfortunately, DH & his whole extended family have or just had the stomach flu, so I have to assume I'm about to get it. I will, of course, continue to breastfeed & I know I'll need to really increase my liquid intake, but I'm wondering if I need to pump to have some extra milk stored up for DH. I'm afraid if I get the stomach flu it will be difficult to stay hydrated enough for myself & him & just don't want to have a lower supply of milk right when he's just recovering from being sick. Is it necessary to have a stash? Do you think I'll need to supplement with pumped milk if I do get the flu?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Stomach flu & breastfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by sarah1007 View Post
    My DS has the stomach flu.
    So sorry to hear your son has been sick!

Although the pediatrician recommended that I stop nursing & give him only Pedialyte (what?!) I am continuing to breastfeed & I think he's getting better.
    Good!! I can't believe the doctor told you to stop nursing him and give Pedialyte instead, that is such a bad idea! I can't believe they're still giving out that advice.

Unfortunately, DH & his whole extended family have or just had the stomach flu, so I have to assume I'm about to get it. I will, of course, continue to breastfeed & I know I'll need to really increase my liquid intake, but I'm wondering if I need to pump to have some extra milk stored up for DH. I'm afraid if I get the stomach flu it will be difficult to stay hydrated enough for myself & him & just don't want to have a lower supply of milk right when he's just recovering from being sick. Is it necessary to have a stash? Do you think I'll need to supplement with pumped milk if I do get the flu?
    Thanks!
    If you're able to stay reasonably hydrated then there shouldn't be a problem, try not to worry. Fingers crossed, maybe you won't even end up getting it. But if it makes you feel comfortable & sets your mind at ease to put a little stash aside, then why not pump and freeze a little. I liked having a little "insurance" even though my DD didn't even really take bottles.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Default Re: Stomach flu & breastfeeding

I've (along with dd) had the stomach flu a couple times since dd was born, and while the pediatrician always recommended pedialyte, I never followed that advice. Breastmilk has antibodies, so it HAS to be better. I also never pumped. I figured the best way to keep my supply up was to let dd nurse as frequently as she wanted. They usually don't last that long anyway. If it goes on indefinitely, I might consider supplementing, but only i I was showing signs of severe deydration. Mind you, this is just me...I have no idea what the medical community would recommend.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes