Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gave UP BF

Default Gave UP BF

A friend of mine has a 1 month old and I went to visit and found out she had stopped BF......she went along with the advice from her doctor. She was BF and felt she had a low milk supply due to a hormone imbalance and the doctor told he rthe baby wasn't getting enough. He told her the baby was only gaining weight form the formula. How can this be??? I was so sad but she is fine with it. I guess I just know the bond my DD and I share and was hoping the same for her. I just have to let it go!!!

Default Re: Gave UP BF

Not much you can do is there Only offer her support if she seems to need it - letting her know sometimes thats not the case and doctors are not schooled well (literally) in breastfeeding - otherwise just remember *this is not my baby* that mantra gets me though A LOT of tough situations with other people.

Last edited by Number3; March 20th, 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: nasty, nightime typos
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

So sad how often that happens. In his "Guide to Breastfeeding" book, Dr. Newman talks about how, in med school, they had ONE class on infant feeding in which breastfeeding was not mentioned AT ALL, and they just taught them how to make formula (x portions of cow's milk, x portions of corn starch, x portions of water, and something else that he doesn't remember). That was quite a while ago, of course, but considering he's still practicing, I'm sure there are hundreds of doctors out there still that got pretty much the same "education," without all the extra work he did later to learn about breastfeeding...not to mention the ones since then that have gotten little better (educating the medical community about breastfeeding hasn't happened overnight, and there's still so much ignorance out there today).

*sigh* okay, I'm done ranting.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I dont know much about relactating but there is a whole forum dedicated to that. May be you can talk to your friend on the importance of BF. Any amount is better than none. Why stop totally? It may not be too late. Depends on how much your friend wants to BF.

Quote Originally Posted by veenasri View Post
    I dont know much about relactating but there is a whole forum dedicated to that. May be you can talk to your friend on the importance of BF. Any amount is better than none. Why stop totally? It may not be too late. Depends on how much your friend wants to BF.
    I thought about mentioning that...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If your friend seems sad about it, you could gently offer her some alternative information. If she's fine with it, my best suggestion is to just listen to her and support her the best you can.

Hi. I just had to vent as I was so upset but she didnt seem to care at all. She said she was so stressed out before and I dont think even really wanted to BF. I was just Mad because I think new moms trust doctors WAY too much and thankfully I went with my own instincts as far as BF went etc. Dr are good I am not bashing BUT for a dr to say that your baby is not gaining weight from your breast milk only the formula is ridiculous and also told her she could just stop BF since she wasnt producing enough milk for the baby anyway...so she stopped cold turkey like she said and was in sooo much pain. She had to read up about BF in all her books and had to hand squeeze milk out because it hurt so much. She couldnt even lay down ...sooooooooo if it hurt so much then she WAS producing plenty of milk and would be able to nurse that new baby right? Im just bitter because I know how much of a bond my DD and I have...I guess I just want that for everyone but i have to tell myself that she is fine with it and she is the mom. When I first thot I couldnt BF i thought my world was going to end....big difference there. I CANNOT say anything to her..

Quote Originally Posted by k10driscoll View Post
    Hi. I just had to vent as I was so upset but she didnt seem to care at all. She said she was so stressed out before and I dont think even really wanted to BF. I was just Mad because I think new moms trust doctors WAY too much and thankfully I went with my own instincts as far as BF went etc. Dr are good I am not bashing BUT for a dr to say that your baby is not gaining weight from your breast milk only the formula is ridiculous and also told her she could just stop BF since she wasnt producing enough milk for the baby anyway...
    In my experience, I've heard things like "my milk just dried up and I had to stop" and "the baby weaned at 3 months" and "its almost impossible with such big breasts so I couldn't." I think these are just excuses mom's make up so they don't feel guilty, and I wonder if you're friend is exaggerating that the doctor specifically told her to stop, considering it sounds like she was looking for an excuse to quit? I never make my friends justify their reasons for not bf, not ever, but they do it on their own and it gets annoying because I know they're not being honest. I think its just guilt.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

w/ PP. I always hear the same things! It's so frustrating! I think it's hardest b/c ya know what they're missing out on....
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!

It's probably has to do with how people raise kids now days and how disconnected we seem to be to bonding and family somexs. I know when I was pregnant I couldn't imagine bfing it was 'eewww' to me but once I had him everything changed. I think it also depends on how much you question the norm and status quo. I never thought I would question vaccines, the food I feed him, infant meds, toys....etc. but now I do and what I think has really educated me is having this forum. I wonder about everything and try to remember the experiences of other moms on the forums before I make a decision. And then there's moms who know all of the things I'm trying to learn naturally or simply don't know or bother to ask or learn about.

I like that whole idea of the "it's not my baby" mantra bc some of the things you see really makes you want to scream at some parents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!