Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this right???

Default Re: Is this right???

I can't offer much advice. But just wanted to say you are doing great! You can do it!!!

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

so far it seems to be going ok.. last night he only took 1 1/2 oz of formula and this morning he was screaming his head off forever so I gave him a bottle and he only took an ounce... maybe it will work out! I can't wait though, to get to the point where I feel confident that he's full... and that I'm working right...
    Last edited by Mirandagrate; March 26th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

birth weight: 6 lbs 4.1 oz
    left hossy @: 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 week check: 6 lbs 15 oz
    4 week check: 7 lbs 12 oz
    5 weeks 2 days: 8 lbs 12 oz
    9 weeks: 11 lbs 12 oz
    13 weeks: 13 lbs 13 oz
    19 weeks: 16 lbs 4 oz
    6mths 2wks: 18 lbs 11 oz
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llanesiggy.jpg

Unhappy Re: Is this right???

Ok, this is so hard right now... So far in 24 hours I've only had to supplement him about 5 oz. This last time though I had been nursing him off and on for about an hour and 15 minutes and he just screamed and screamed and at the end when I was trying to get him to latch back on he just got madder and madder... So my husband fed him from a bottle and he ate 2 oz and is completely fine right now... It's so hard to think this is even going to work when your baby is screaming at you for so long and then is completely happy after a bottle... My other concern is, even though he is a sleepy baby he does have awake times... but today he didn't seem as awake as he normally is... I know it probably sounds like I'm reading into things but even when I think back on the day he's seemed more sleepy than usual... maybe it's a growth spurt.. I don't know.. I just wish I could see down the road and know for sure whether this was going to work or not.. it's so hard.. I just want him to happy and healthy and not hungry...
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

During growth spurts my son did cry a lot and seemed hungry. I put him to the breast frequently to up my supply. It can take a few days for your body to respond. I would also make sure I was eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and taking my vitamins. I needed to do what I could for my body to increase production of milk. I was always hungrier during growth spurts too. Remember to watch his diapers to ease your mind. It can be really hard when you get used to giving bottles and knowing how much he is eating in ounces. Its all kind of a mystery with nursing, because our breasts aren't clear with ounce markers So we have to trust ourselves and our babies and watch them (diapers, etc).

After a growth spurt my son always slept more.

It is hard when your child is screaming at you, we went through that with reflux aswell. If I wasn't watching diapers I would have convinced myself I was starving him or something. But we kept going, every day was a struggle, but every day it got a little easier.

Remember this morning when you said it was going well? Well maybe tomorrow you will make it til noon, and maybe the next day you'll make it to 3 PM. Its going to get easier Mama, it is!

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; March 26th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

His diapers have been good. He's had more dirty diapers today than he has in a few days... And I am starting to think that my supply is back up or atleast almost back up. A lot today milk was just pouring out of my. I could even see like a little stream flowing out of me and big drips would fall out. I guess I'm worried too that he's not effectively sucking... Thank you for the continued encouragement. Sometimes just reading what people have written makes it easier to keep going..

Thats what we're here for Miranda, cause I've been where you are, and I am proof that you can make it.

What is making you question his sucking/latch?

Here are some videos that I think can really help. Dr Newman states that an inproper latch can lead to low supply due to the milk not being removed efficiently and fully. The videos can give you some visual things to look for when latching and nursing:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42

Lyn
    Lyn

he just seems to latch very shallow. from videos/articles/pictures it just seems like he should have more of me in him...

another question... he seems to want to suck a LOT right now but doesn't want to be at my breast-is it ok to give him a pacifier? also (my husband says i worry too much) if he's hungry will he reject the pacifier? like, he wouldn't be satisfied with it if he were hungry would he?

thanks for the link.. i've been there a few times-just wish I had some "in person" help with this..

Have you contacted your local La Leche League leader or a board certified lactation consultant? Both could watch you nurse and offer advice, tips, etc.

Personally, I would have him get his sucking from the breast. You need to stimulate your supply as much as possible, KWIM?

The link to the videos from Dr Newman have tips on getting that wide mouth latch.
    Lyn

Well we had a good thing happen this morning. My daughter was waking up so I put my son down to go get her out of bed. When I came back to him he was screaming and mad so I put him up to nurse and he calmed down immediately and latched right on! I hope this is a sign of good things to come!

Good Morning Miranda! It sounds like its going to be a good day! The more he nurses the more familiar he's going to become with it and all that it can offer him
    Lyn