Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this right???

Default Re: Is this right???

well we just started this around 6-ish this evening and he's had 2 or 3 wet diapers... he didn't start screaming at the breast until my supply dropped last week, he's been screaming off and on during them tonight... he is also yawning a lot during feeds-something he's never done...
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

birth weight: 6 lbs 4.1 oz
    left hossy @: 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 week check: 6 lbs 15 oz
    4 week check: 7 lbs 12 oz
    5 weeks 2 days: 8 lbs 12 oz
    9 weeks: 11 lbs 12 oz
    13 weeks: 13 lbs 13 oz
    19 weeks: 16 lbs 4 oz
    6mths 2wks: 18 lbs 11 oz
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llanesiggy.jpg

Those can be signs of a growth spurt too.

Have you tried breast compressions to keep him interested? Sometimes when the flow slows down they can get mad. IF you can use breast compressions to keep him interested, he may stay latched on for another letdown.

Here are some links from Dr Newman that you may find helpful:

Breast Compressions

Is My Baby getting enough milk?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Ok, my husband is feeding him a bottle now. He's been nursing the last 2 hours and was still screaming his head off... I just can't stand it. I know, KNOW he is hungry.. I just don't know what to do I really want him to nurse but I don't want him to be hungry either...
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

Oh yeah, I feel like I'm doing compressions almost constantly... I'm just at a loss right now... It's been a miserable almost two weeks with pumping around the clock and still nursing and supplementing... I just want this to work...

You know him best, Mama. So going with your instinct is good! Our supplies are all lowest in the evening. So perhaps saving the bottles for evenings and trying to nurse on demand during the day might work while you start to wean off the supplements? Although, lots of babies go through the cranky/crying/colicky phase in the evening, its called the witching hours.

You are dealing with a lot. First a newborn is a HUGE change in your life, then mastitis is painful, exhausting, and draining. And now low supply. Its enough to make anyone cry, but YOU CAN DO THIS! I know you can.
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; March 25th, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
    Lyn

Thank you. I guess I just don't know about stopping the supplements right away. I would love to be able to but he is sooo calm right now... I know he was hungry... Thanks for the encouragement...

Miranda
    I think trying to make the change in the evening, when your son is most fussy and your supply is the lowest may have been the wrong timing. I would definately try again tomorrow morning when your supply is higher.

Are you drinking enough water? Eating healthy, frequent meals? Taking your prenatal vitamins? Have you visited the Increasing Your Milk forum here at the LLL boards?

Also, here is a link to the 5's from Dr Harvey Karp. Some tips on calming the crying baby.
    5 S's from Dr Karp

I see that you have your hands full with an older sibling too! That can be challenging to balance the needs of a sibling and the needs of a newborn nursling. Do you have help during the day?

Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mirandagrate View Post
    Thank you. I guess I just don't know about stopping the supplements right away. I would love to be able to but he is sooo calm right now... I know he was hungry... Thanks for the encouragement...
    You can always try the gradual approach too, maybe you'd be more comfortable with that.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I need to start taking my PN's again. I've been eating better. I'm finally starting to get my appetite back-I was making myself eat because I knew I needed to, now it's not so hard to,

As far as help, during the day (except during my husband's lunch break) it's just me. And after 5 my husband is home and is a HUGE help to me

We made it through the night without anymore bottles, so that's good.. I just to keep a count of his diapers. He had a huge poop earlier and was wet. His soft spot isn't sunken in either... Hopefully everything will be ok...

yeah sounds like things are getting back on track!
    Count diapars
    And add extra feeds if you feal like baby needs another wet before bed.