Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this right???

Question Is this right???

I've been pumping since last Monday to build my supply back up-it dropped way down from having mastitis. Anyway, I finally got ahold of the local LLL in my area, and according to all the women I've talked to she is supposed to be top notch and know her stuff like the back of her hand. Anyway, she told me to just quit pumping and supplementing. To just let my 18 day old son just nurse, nurse, nurse and he'd be fine. I have been letting him nurse whenever he wants but he ALWAYS seems so hungry afterward and I've been supplementing him with whatever I've pumped and formula. (I'm only pumping after he nurses-not before) He usually takes about 2-2 1/2 oz after he nurses but she told me that even a full baby will take that much from a bottle just because they love to suck so much..

Anyway, is this right? Should I just stop pumping and exclusively nurse even though I've been supplementing him the last week? I would love to, I'm just so worried that he'll be hungry. Even just from doing this today he seems to want to nurse 20 minutes after he finishes...

thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is this right???

The advice is correct, as long as you know your baby is getting enough. A great way to know if your baby is getting enough is to count his wet and dirty diapers. Here is a link to know if your baby is getting enough by counting dipes:

How can I tell if my baby is getting Enough?

Your baby is the most efficient @ removing milk from your breasts, more so than the pump. Also, she is correct that some babies will suck from a bottle even when they aren't hungry. There are some big growth spurts during the first few months that can make you question your supply. 3 weeks is one age that is common for a growth spurt followed by 6 weeks. Not all babies follow this timeline though. Wanting to nurse soon after nursing (like you described) can be a classic sign of a growth spurt. Thats why getting him to breast frequently is important. It allows your body to respond to his "demand" for milk by "supplying" more.

Growth Spurt Info from LLL
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; March 25th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

If you choose to do that, you would need to keep an extremely close eye on diapers to make sure he's getting enough. Your body is constantly making milk, so if he wants to nurse 20 minutes later, let him. The extra time at the breast will signal your body to make more milk.

She may very well be right. A baby can empty a breast and build your supply up better than any pump. Here's a link that explains what to expect the first few weeks...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/ne...tml#afterweek1

HTH

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    The advice is correct, as long as you know your baby is getting enough. A great way to know if your baby is getting enough is to count his wet and dirty diapers. Here is a link to know if your baby is getting enough by counting dipes:

How can I tell if my baby is getting Enough?

Your baby is the most efficient @ removing milk from your breasts, more so than the pump. Also, she is correct that some babies will suck from a bottle even when they aren't hungry. There are some big growth spurts during the first few months that can make you question your supply. Wanting to nurse soon after nursing (like you described) can be a classic sign o a growth spurt. Thats why getting him to breast frequently is important. It allows your body to respond to his "demand" for milk by "supplying" more.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Lyn
    Just follow his hunger cues and you'll do great!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

i can confirm that this worked for me.... i had to supplement my son in his second and third week and by the time i was able to move to only breast i did exactly that, he was at the breast constantly and i was so worried but it all evened out eventually....on some evenings if i was exausted and he was too, i let my husband give him a bottle of pumped milk while i pumped out extra...
    -A

I agree with this advice, but definitely agree that you need to count diapers. You can think of this as the "ripping the BandAid off" method. You'll likely have to nurse a lot more than you're used to for several days to maybe a week, and it might be tough on you (rent some DVDs, nurse at the keyboard, read books with one hand, but plan on LOTS of nursing) but you'll fix the problem and go back to EBF in the shortest period of time possible, meaning immediately.

If you reach a point where the diaper count isn't adequate then you can try the gradual method of cutting out supplements, which is explained here:

Weaning from formula supplements

HTH!!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

You've already gotten some wonderful advice, I just want to repeat that you should definitely breastfeed rather than feed the milk you've pumped to baby. Your baby will get more milk out than the pump because your body lets down the milk much easier when it's being taken out by baby than pump.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I'm just sooo nervous/worried because he screams EVERY time I put him up to nurse... I don't know if it's because he's not getting instant gratification... also, he doesn't actively suck for a very long time. I mentioned this to her and she said that he's probably just good at nursing... It's hard for me to take advice over the phone... also, when he does nurse I hardly ever hear him swallow...
    Thanks again.. this is just so frustrating-not at him, I'm just so worried that he's hungry-I want so badly just to give him something because he seems like he's so hungry...
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

birth weight: 6 lbs 4.1 oz
    left hossy @: 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 week check: 6 lbs 15 oz
    4 week check: 7 lbs 12 oz
    5 weeks 2 days: 8 lbs 12 oz
    9 weeks: 11 lbs 12 oz
    13 weeks: 13 lbs 13 oz
    19 weeks: 16 lbs 4 oz
    6mths 2wks: 18 lbs 11 oz
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llanesiggy.jpg

What are his diapers like? Seeing whats coming out can give you confidence about how much is going in! Is the crying when you put him to the breast something new?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)