Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections on BF after 7 months

Default Reflections on BF after 7 months

Hello ladies. A while back someone posted a lovely message about why she loves breastfeeding, and it sparked a beautiful reflection on the joys of breastfeeding. I loved reading it especially because...hmm, actually I didn't love reading it. Although I would happily add my two cents to that thread now, at the time my response would have been "Why I hate breastfeeding." Now, as things are better for us, I can do so more with humour (I hope!), kind of like "10 things I hate about you" (if anyone remembers that teen version of Shakespeare).

For me it was never a question about whether or not I would breastfeed. I mean, do the math: a baby, two breasts; these things go together. Plus, everyone said how easy it was, how portable it was, how bonding and beautiful it was. Not to mention it's just the healthiest choice. So, this is for new breastfeeding Moms who maybe don't have the idyllic BF experience that they are sold (i.e. most everyone) before signing up!

10 things I hate about breastfeeding:

10. Cabbage Leaves: Never in my life expected to wear cabbage on my breasts. But painful, unrelieved engorgement is the option. Learn to love green cabbage, and DO remove that big vein in the middle of the leaf.

9. Nipple Sandwiches: having a complete stranger grab my boob and pinch my nipple into a "sandwich" for my lo to nurse off when the engorgement was at it's worst.

8. Muscle Spasms: my neck is forever changed, even with MyBrestFriend providing support, from peering down at my lo, checking and rechecking and readjusting her latch.

7. Milk Stains: and I don't mean on my clothes, that's a given. I mean the stain of milk spray across the leather sofa that still shows months later.

6. Mastitis: Moo. Hearing my mother, who lives on a ranch, say to me after 4 battles with plugged ducts and one case of mastitis: "Well, dear, some cows just tend towards mastitis. Every spring, it's the same cows who get it." Okay, Mom.

5. Mastitis: Did I already mention this one? It's worth mentioning again. Chills, fever, multiple pairs of pajamas, multiple sheet changes, a feverish fog for days. Yeah, love it. And then, of course, the fear of thrush when given antibiotics.

4. Nipple Twisting: I have yet to read a book titled "The violence of breasteeding." Hmm, market niche, perhaps I could write it. Or perhaps it's already in the baby's handbook: "Twist, turn, scrape down nipple, then bite down hard. Mom really reacts to that!" And mine isn't even getting teeth yet.

3. Cat Scratch Fever: Yep, that was my thread. Oh, yeah. Breasts and belly that look like hamburger for a few weeks. Consider bypassing the trimming of nails in favour of the trimming of baby's fingers (but only for a second or two).

2. "I had my baby on steak by three months": Honestly, why on earth does someone look at a perfectly healthy, chubby, happy baby and then feel the need to tell baby's Mom everything she's doing wrong in feeding her baby? For hours?

1. Worry: I have never worried so much in my life about my bodily fluids and whether or not I have enough of one. Oh, the stress!

Happy BF, everyone!

Default Re: Reflections on BF after 7 months

NIPPLE TWISTING i swear my LO thinks my nipple can go whereever her head turns... Um, sorry honey, mommy is attached to that!!!!! hehehe... Loved the post and absolutly love bf my dd and take all of the 'fun' things that go with it!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

That's hysterical! I can totally relate! My version would be very much the same, but I'd add yeast infection/thrush. Tons of fun!

Cool Re: Reflections on BF after 7 months

Oh, lord, I so relate to this post

My main goal when I started was to just get through those first two weeks, and I'm so thankful that my cousin told me about that, because otherwise, I never would have made it to where we are today!

10 weeks strong!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

I love the milk spray across the sofa thing. I can totally relate to that. We learned early on that we had to cover all our furniture with bed sheets b/c there was a lot of spraying and spitting up going on.

Quote Originally Posted by annanotherthing View Post
    2. "I had my baby on steak by three months": Honestly, why on earth does someone look at a perfectly healthy, chubby, happy baby and then feel the need to tell baby's Mom everything she's doing wrong in feeding her baby? For hours?

1. Worry: I have never worried so much in my life about my bodily fluids and whether or not I have enough of one. Oh, the stress!

These are mine! Now that I am at 10 months EVERYONE wants to know when I am going to stop. "My neighbor's cousin's dog's trainer who has the friend who's sister's baby stopped breastfeeding at 6 months because the doctor told her that the breastmilk turns into poison at 7 months." Ok, maybe I'm exagerating, but I know you all know what I mean. Instead of "your still breastfeeding, that is great!" everyone says, "your still breastfeeding, why?"

8. Muscle Spasms: my neck is forever changed, even with MyBrestFriend providing support, from peering down at my lo, checking and rechecking and readjusting her latch.

The first few months, I thought I would have a permanent stiff neck

6. Mastitis: Moo. Hearing my mother, who lives on a ranch, say to me after 4 battles with plugged ducts and one case of mastitis: "Well, dear, some cows just tend towards mastitis. Every spring, it's the same cows who get it." Okay, Mom.

4. Nipple Twisting: I have yet to read a book titled "The violence of breasteeding." Hmm, market niche, perhaps I could write it. Or perhaps it's already in the baby's handbook: "Twist, turn, scrape down nipple, then bite down hard. Mom really reacts to that!" And mine isn't even getting teeth yet.

My husband lets my lo bite him, thinks its funny, hello are you crazy, you're not the one with the breasts.

Thanks for the laugh I needed that tonight.

Have to laugh at this and then for all the hardships we endure as mothers.

Milk Stains: and I don't mean on my clothes, that's a given. I mean the stain of milk spray across the leather sofa that still shows months later.

i have that....... and the scratches!!! my hubby gave me an odd look once as i was covered from neck down.....kord only knows what he thought id been up to!

thanks for this thread tho...very funny..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

[QUOTE=annanotherthing;474995]

7. Milk Stains: and I don't mean on my clothes, that's a given. I mean the stain of milk spray across the leather sofa that still shows months later.

OM this are me... she turns to any side with mommie's niples ... about the stain I dont know if this happens to anybody else but I am stained too, not just te furniture .... I swear... I have a big redish stain between my breast.... anybody else???