Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased supply after flu

Default Decreased supply after flu

Hi,
    I've had a stomach flu for the past 5 days - couldn't keep anything at all down for the first 2, and have been able to keep crackers, bread, and the like down for the past 3.
    I was doing my best to stay hydrated, but of course was pretty dehydrated the first couple of days.
    I have been drinking as much water as possible, in addition to herbal tea and Gatorade the past 3 days, but I still feel like my supply is low.
    DD seems to be fine - gets milk when she nurses, and doesn't seem unusually hungry - but today at work (I work 2 mornings a week) I only got 3 ounces when I pumped for 20 minutes versus the usual 6 ounces.
    Anyone think this is cause for alarm, or should my supply go back to normal now that I'm on the mend?
    Thanks!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Default Re: Decreased supply after flu

sounds like you should be fine after you get back to eating!
    take the baby to bed and rest!

Many mothers experience a drop in milk supply during an illness. This is almost certainly temporary and should improve once you're feeling better. Try to rest, pay attention to good nutrition and hydration, and nurse your baby frequently.

I hope you feel better soon!

Tiana

Thanks! I already feel like I've got more milk, and DD isn't complaining!
    I do feel better, and am making sure that I'm eating a nutritious diet now, and plenty of water.
    Are things like eating fennel and fenugreek worthwhile in this situation, or do you all think I should let DD bring up the supply on her own?
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010