Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply dwindling at 10 months, please help

Default Supply dwindling at 10 months, please help

I posted recently but the problem has worsened, and I need help, please!

I have been exclusively BFing my DD but something has changed; suddenly I'm not getting a let down and my supply is dwindling. I used to have my let down within the first 30 seconds of feeding. Then it was taking 3-5 minutes. Now I'm not getting it at all. DD gets a little milk, I know, but it's not enough. The diapers tell all, and she's starting to seem lethargic to me too. She always goes eager to the breast, but she doesn't stay on for long and I think it's because she is frustrated that the milk she is so used to getting quickly doesn't come.

I know my supply dropped when my period came back a few months ago, but I think the real kicker was when she started teething. It's like she doesn't suck hard enough and I'm not getting stimulated right.

So my doctor today recommended that I pump every 2 hours to get my supply up again, which I'm fine to do, but I don't understand that leaves enough milk for my DD? She won't take a bottle or a sippy cup, and I worry that pumping will rob her of the precious few drops she gets now. Should I be offering the breast first and then pumping after? How many times a day should I be breastfeeding at 10 months? Also, what do I do at night with feeding and pumping?! Have I unknowingly sabotaged myself because she goes so long at night (sleeps through the night) without feeding, and I should have been pumping all along? How long is too long to go without pumping?

Lots of questions, I hope this makes sense, and I really hope I can get my milk back!!!! Thank you for listening -
    Last edited by @llli*cobocolorado; February 24th, 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: addition

Default Re: Supply dwindling at 10 months, please help

So my doctor today recommended that I pump every 2 hours to get my supply up again, which I'm fine to do, but I don't understand that leaves enough milk for my DD?
    Don't worry about "stealing" your baby's milk by pumping. If she's willing to nurse enough, she will get milk even if the breast has recently been pumped. Milk is always being made, so you can never drain the breast dry. And pumping will increase your supply: every drop you remove with the pump is a drop you are signalling your body to replace.

Should I be offering the breast first and then pumping after?
    Yes, that way your baby gets the bulk of the milk and you use the pump as a follow-up measure to signal the body to make more.

How many times a day should I be breastfeeding at 10 months?
    There's no good answer to this one because there is so much individual variation. At 10 months, some moms are nursing just 5-6 times per day, others 8-12. Basically, you should be nursing enough to meet your baby's needs, without paying too much attention to what number of sessions it takes.

Also, what do I do at night with feeding and pumping?! Have I unknowingly sabotaged myself because she goes so long at night (sleeps through the night) without feeding, and I should have been pumping all along? How long is too long to go without pumping?
    There is almost never a need for a mom who is home with her baby and nursing on demand to need to pump at night. She can just trust the baby to regulate her supply, and to train her body to produce more during the day with frequent daytime feeding. So it's unlikely that you sabotaged yourself by not pumping at night. Remember, breastpumps have existed for a very short time and babies for a very long time. Somehow the babies got fed before pumps were invented!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"