Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lupron and milk supply?

Question Lupron and milk supply?

i also posted this in the Special situations subforum but i am desperate for advice or wisdom....

Hi all, I am a new mom to a 5 month old, i was blessed enough to spend 4 glorious months at home before returning to work. since returning to work i have been successfully pumping and still enjoy breastfeeding every chance i have.

when i was 28 weeks i was hospitalized for preterm labor for a few days and during this stay a large 16Cm * 9Cm *11Cm, very vascular, fibroid was discovered resting on my cervix. this prevented me form a normal labor and delivery process so i was given a scheduled cesarean at 38 weeks. the cesarean was also classical(vertical) to prevent excessive hemorrhage and because my son was transverse near my ribs. prior to delivery the fibroid grew slightly and since delivery it has shrunk a bit (12Cm*9Cm*9Cm) i want additional children and the presentation of this fibroid will make that difficult, it's location also makes it very painful at times.

my doctor has decided to begin Lupron on April 7th to hopefully reduce the fibroid's size then myomectomy willl be required to remove it.

finally the point of this post....

he has said i can continue to breastfeed however there is a chance my milk supply will drop or dry up altogether.... i am devastated and asked the Dr to wait a few more months he is not comfortable waiting b/c of size, placement, and blood flow issues....

has anyone here tried to BF while on lupron????

Default Re: Lupron and milk supply?

I looked Lupron up on dr hales site and he didn't know much about it.
    One mother said she had taken it and had more milk then before taking it?
    Try not to worry to much....
    How long would you need to take it?
    If its a short period maybe after the surgury is done you'll have no trouble.
    LOts of moms and babies nurse fine after surgury!

Thanks, i hadn't been able to find anything online where someone had taken it and still had milk at all.

I will be on it for 3-6 months and i've been hysterical for 2 weeks dreading and search for more info.

I'll just die of I cannot nurse him...

-A

baby needs a healthy moma too...
    one day at a time, maybe it will resolve sooner then the doctor thinks?

I don't have any specific knowledge about Lupron, but I do have a couple of ideas: if you must take this drug, how about starting pumping more ASAP and building a freezer stash so that you can feed your baby your own milk in case your supply goes south? Also, how about laying in a supplemental nursing system? That way, if this drug causes your supply to dwindle, you'll be able to keep your baby at the breast. His suckling will help maintain whatever supply is there, and when you're off the drug, you could probably get back to breastfeeding without supplementation.

HTH! I'm so sorry about the myoma- that was really rotten luck. One of my cousins was in a similar situation, with a large myoma blocking her cervix. She was headed towards a scheduled c-section, but at the last moment her uterus stretched enough to move the myoma and let her baby out. But it was such a near thing...

Thanks for the advice, I am having a difficult time just keeping up with his current demand, however I think I'll try a few additional tricks to try and get a backup stash. and I never thought about the supplemental nurser that sounds perfect for just in case.

I'll try looking in the pumping and increase supply threads for help...

Thanks again!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: Lupron and milk supply? - UPDATED

It’s been what feels like a long time since I first discovered this forum and made these frantic posts, in reality only a few months has passed, however I have begun Lupron injections and thought I would give a detailed update.

I did rent a hospital grade Medela pump for 1 month and used it 3 - 4 times a day, I also bought new breast shields in several sizes and determined one breast was a large and the other was a regular; I realized I was having a dramatic dip in supply due to the return of AF, for the first time post partum, immediately after AF began my supply picked back up to exactly what my DS required.

My first monthly injection was on Monday April 7th, I felt no ill affects and noticed no supply change, I had been using the Rental pump for 1 week prior to this first injection and AF had returned 3 days prior to this injection (that was the last I’ve seen of AF, as expected) one week after the injection I felt as if I had the worst hangover imaginable horrid headache and nausea, extreme exhaustion etc… a co worked said is the that medicine, and I was astounded that I had forgotten all about it, the only concern I had was my milk supply, I called the doc and he confirmed these side effects were to be expected and to let him know if I had more, I also had a random heavy nose bleed this day but that could’ve easily been the ragweed pollen…

One month later on May 7th I had my 2nd dose I had returned the rental pump by now as my supply seemed unaffected completely, I again had no ill affects until exactly one week later. Then the headaches became way more frequent and I began taking a small dose of estrogen daily to counter them. The third ingection was nothing new and nothing more than the 2nd.

Yesterday I went for the 3 month evaluation ultrasound of the fibroid.

When it was discovered and I was 7 months pregnant it was 16 cm in diameter at its widest point, I was put on bed rest since it was on my cervix and blocking the baby’s path.
    At the time of my cesarean 38 weeks, the fibroid was greater than 20 cm in diameter at its widest point
    6 months post partum at the time I began Lupron Injections it was 12cm in diameter at it’s widest (I am told by my OB we can thank breastfeeding for this drastic drop in size)
    Now after 3 months of Lupron injections it’s down to 9*9*6, 9 cm at its widest point!!! Most importantly I’ve had absolutely no drop in supply whatsoever. If it hadn’t been for the ladies at this site and my local LLL I would have weaned prior to beginning treatment for fear that I would dry completely.

Thank you ladies!

I had my 4th injection yesterday, and I will have 2 more, after the 6th my myomectomy will be scheduled and I will be able to have another child after about a year of healing time.

Again I cannot thank you ladies enough, I am so happy to have discovered this community of women who support each other sooo much.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

What fantastic news!!! So glad to hear that the myoma is in retreat and that your milk supply has been unaffected. Sorry the Lupron had such icky side-effects, though. Yuck!

Are you interested in a VBAC at all for your next baby? If so, you might want to talk to your ob and get some second opinions on how the myomectomy might affect your chances. No pressure, just with whatever you decide!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i'd love a VBAC but since my cesarean was a classical (vertical) i've been told that it would be nearly impossible.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I this story. I'm so glad you stuck around to let us know how it's turned out.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!