Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very concerned, please help

Unhappy Very concerned, please help

My 7 week old daughter has not had a bowel movement in 11 days. Some places and people tell me it is normal for an exclusively breast fed baby to not have frequent BM's b/c of no waste. Other's (including pediatrician) say she should be having one at least every 3-5 days. But, her pediatrician is a quack and I am going to be changing. The last time she went, it was soft, not hard. She didn't seem to have difficulty going. She is growing very well, seems happy, and has good wet diapers. I understand that she may not be going as often, but how long is too long?

Default Re: Very concerned, please help

ebf babies don't have hard poops. they are mustard color and loose and seedy. hard poops come with solids.

someone else with more poopy knowledge will have to answer the other questions

I felt like you in the beginning. My LO did not go for 8 days at a time, but was just fine.

She is now 6 months and goes every 1-2 days.

If your LO is EBF you should not worry too much.

Someone with more experience may be able to tell you what is too long. This is a great place to learn and ease your fears as a new mommie!

welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis View Post
    My 7 week old daughter has not had a bowel movement in 11 days. Some places and people tell me it is normal for an exclusively breast fed baby to not have frequent BM's b/c of no waste. Other's (including pediatrician) say she should be having one at least every 3-5 days. But, her pediatrician is a quack and I am going to be changing. The last time she went, it was soft, not hard. She didn't seem to have difficulty going. She is growing very well, seems happy, and has good wet diapers. I understand that she may not be going as often, but how long is too long?
    Honestly, after having had 2 exclusively breastfed children, I have to say that 11 days without a bowel movement in a 7 week old baby does seem like too long. Some babies do go longer periods without having a bm, but it doesn't normally happen (to my knowledge) until they're a few months old....and to me, anything over the 5-7 day range says that you need to be alert and looking into it even though there may not be anything wrong.

I'd suggest you make an appt with another ped. or doc. in your area and go and see what he/she says about it. There may be nothing wrong whatsoever, but 11 days is a long time, and it is longer than average. And also, is she still having plenty of wet diapers? Does she have any signs of dehydration? Are you nursing on demand instead of using a schedule? What does her belly feel like? Is it still soft? Is she happy and content? Does she appear to be straining or having gas or pain? Write down the answers to those Q's and take them with you when you see the doc or talk to him on the phone.

If she is growing well, making plenty of wet diapers, not acting sick or uncomfortable, and your doctor said not to worry, then I wouldn't worry!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

More than you ever wanted to know . . .

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...erns.html#poop

The Poop Scoop article states"

In fact, at 3-6 weeks of age, breast-fed babies may only have one stool a week. This is because breast milk leaves very little waste in the intestines to be passed. Again, if the stool, when passed, is not hard, this is completely normal. In general, it is almost impossible for strictly breast-fed babies to become constipated.
    My baby went over a week one time and then had a major blow out. If your lo does not have one soon, I would go ahead and discuss it with a doctor. You said that your lo did not seem uncomfortable, so I would not be really concerned but it never hurts to discuss this with a doctor.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    I'd suggest you make an appt with another ped. or doc. in your area and go and see what he/she says about it. There may be nothing wrong whatsoever, but 11 days is a long time, and it is longer than average. And also, is she still having plenty of wet diapers? Does she have any signs of dehydration? Are you nursing on demand instead of using a schedule? What does her belly feel like? Is it still soft? Is she happy and content? Does she appear to be straining or having gas or pain? Write down the answers to those Q's and take them with you when you see the doc or talk to him on the phone.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky