Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird Pains...

Default Weird Pains...

Breastfeeding has become so painful lately that I keep wanting to give up, please help! For starters, we have recently weaned off the shield. That went off without a hitch, but now BF is soooo painful for me. I have been pumping and going on about a 2 bottles, then breast, then 2 bottles schedule to give my nipples a break. But it isn't helping alot yet. And the R one is so bad, I pumped this morning and just got blood. I know that I should use the lanolin more often, I just hate the way it feels. But I know that will help my nipples, anything else?

And I also get this awful pain in my left side, kind of around and under my armpit more, when he nurses on that side. It KILLS! That coupled with the nipple pain, is almost more than I can take! I don't know if it is a blocked duct, maybe? My breast itself doesn't hurt, just my side and the nipple.

Default Re: Weird Pains...

Hi Kristy, and welcome. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with nipple soreness, bleeding, and that awful pain under your armpit. What an ordeal!

When did the nipple soreness start? Was it after weaning from the nipple shield? How long after?

How do your nipples look? Are there cracks or raw/open spots that are the source of the blood in your milk?

Have you met with a LLL Leader or an IBCLC to help evaluate the baby's latch and positioning? Have you seen anyone since weaning off the nipple shield?

One thing that can promote healing of damaged skin on the nipples is breastmilk itself. Express just a few drops at the end of a feeding and rub it all over the nipple/areola region, then let it air dry with your bra flaps open. When it's dry, then apply the lanolin. I believe some moms have also gotten relief from gel packs or soothies.

These are all short-term remedies, however. We need to figure out what is causing the nipple pain, and fix that problem, before the healing tips will do any lasting good. The most common cause of nipple soreness in the early weeks is latch/positioning problems, and your history with the nipple shield and bottles makes a latch problem all the more likely. So that's the first thing I would address.

As for the pain on your side, near your armpit -- there is breast tissue that goes that far back (I think it's called the tail of Spence?), so it is possible that a clogged duct or even mastitis is going on in that region. Does it hurt only when he nurses? Does the area feel tender or lumpy or hot when you touch it with your fingers? Is there any visible redness in that area?

I'm sorry you are suffering so much pain; hang in there and let's try to figure out how to fix it.

--Rebecca

The nipple soreness really kicked in after we weaned off the shield. I am sure it is in part due to the fact that I am not used to having him directly on the nipple. And yes, I do have sores on my R nipple. I didn't realize how bad until I saw all the blood in my milk.

As for the other pain, it does not appear red or lumpy. It will start hurting after he nurses and won't stop for a few hours. In fact, it'll stop hurting about the time he needs to eat again.

OK, the nipple soreness is almost certainly caused by some problem with his latch or positioning at the breast. This, unfortunately, is the hardest problem to fix over the internet. I encourage you to contact a local LLL Leader or an IBCLC and get some face-to-face help.

The pain under your armpit ... has me baffled. I'm sorry -- this is one more good reason to seek help from a good IBCLC or a Leader. Not all lactation consultants have that credential, by the way. Do you know how to find local lactation help?

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy
    As for the other pain, it does not appear red or lumpy. It will start hurting after he nurses and won't stop for a few hours. In fact, it'll stop hurting about the time he needs to eat again.
    When I had thrush I had a stabbing pain under my arm ... it was a shooting, hot needle like pain. It seemed worst at night, and it was actually worse after nursing when my breasts were "refilling" for lack of a better term. It would last for an hour or two. I found out later that my milk ducts were affected by the yeast infection, causing that pain.

Sorry for the lack of a better term than "refilling," that is actually the word my LLL Leader used to describe it.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I don't like the feeling of the lanolin either but I love "Mother Love Nipple Cream". It's not as thick and you don't need to use as much.

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399
    I don't like the feeling of the lanolin either but I love "Mother Love Nipple Cream". It's not as thick and you don't need to use as much.
    Me too! And it's not an animal based product.

Sounds like you have some great advice already. I can add that when we developed(I say we because me and my youngest developed it)thrush it was really painful to nurse. We got prescribed Nystatin and I would place some on my nipples after feeding to help combat the bacteria and yeast. I would ask your doc about the soreness under your armpit, it could be mastisis or something else going on like a clogged duct. Be sure his latch is great, the whole areola should be in his mouth. My sons both went through a period at first where they would try to just put only the nipple in their mouth. We would have to unlatch and relatch several times. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! The armpit pain isn't getting any better, so I think I will have to call the doctor. I have been putting it off bc it is such a hassle for me to get there, but this pain just won't quit and I am so sick of it. I am borrowing a heating pad tonight to see if that helps the pain and getting the milk flowing, if it is a clogged duct.