Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It has happened 3x's OUCH

Default It has happened 3x's OUCH

Okay, it has happened. Starting today dd2 bit me three times. The first time I yelped, took her off, and then scolded her while she was crying in tears. She was so tired and so hungry but did not want the breast. So, I was going downstairs to get her formula.....

Okay breathe I have her bm I had in the freezer....LOL I only have a few more bags though.

She drank all but a half an oz and passed out.

So, it was time to feed her after I got the older kids down for their naps. She sucked, sucked, and then CHOMP right done on me. I took her off and told her no bite mommy she just smiled with a mouth full of milk. I put her back on and she did it again. I put her in the swing and walked a way. She is asleep now.

What am I going to do? I do not have time to sit and pump for her bottles. Well, once I am done online I am going to see if I get more out of my right breast. I only pumped for 15min and got 2.5oz and still feel engorged. I had to wake up at 4am and express some out I hurt so much. But God had a since of humor because as soon as I was done. As soon as I got back to bed she woke.

Tips stories advice please. This is like the last big obstacle I need to overcome before weaning.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: It has happened 3x's OUCH

Is she teething or anything? Is she actually hungry or maybe she just wants to suck??

I mention this because our biting problems came with the first round of teeth, his gums itched and/or hurt him. I always had a finger at the ready to get him off - they have to pop off of a latch to bite - but you've got to be ready.

Sorry my brain is fried. yes she got her first tooth last Monday and lookes like three more to follow soon.

Ok I just went through the biting!!!!! Dr. Sears says that you should bring the babys face closer into your breast to prevent it. I thought now way. So she bit me and I pressed her face into my breast for a second. They do not like that. I had to do it about a handful of times over a week and she has not bitten since. That was like a month ago.
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

I will have to try. I now if I bring in too close on accident she cannot breathe.

Thanks gatta to clean while all three or down for naps

Am I reading correctly that she is biting before she really nurses? Sometimes when a baby is teething they don't want to nurse as often and will bite to let you know. Here are some ideas you might find helpful. At the bottom of the article are other links to LLL info and articles by moms. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html There are some good ideas here about offering appropriate things to bite on before nursing and if she bites. If you watch closely, you can also sometimes see cues that they are about to bite and insert a preventative finger. Trying to force nursing when baby isn't interested can also result in a bite. Some moms have had luck with singing to or talking to baby while nursing. If baby is biting at the end of a session, sometimes ending it when they are no longer actively nursing or starting to wiggle can help.

You might be cautious about using bottles when she bites. She might need the reinforcement that if she bites you, she doesn't get to eat. (Unless, of course, you end up in a strike situation, then you would need to at least use a cup or something.)

You can get through this! Hopefully she will learn quickly. I had a nipper and persistent biter, but we've still made it for over two years. It might take some time and experimentation to figure out what will work best for both of you, but it is doable.

That's the idea of bringing them close. They need to breathe, so they open their mouth and release their teeth.